We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel and surfing around Burleigh Heads?

canada
14 posts
Save Topic
hotel and surfing around Burleigh Heads?

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with this: There's 7 of us (2 adults and 5 kids aged 7 to 17), and we'll be at the Gold Coast for a week, without a car, to take surfing lessons (we're beginners), visit Dreamworld and maybe another theme park, maybe visit Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary or take a bushwalk of some kind. We would prefer a hotel on the beach, but not high-rise, and Burleigh Heads, Currumbin, or Coolangatta sounds nice, I think (but maybe Coolangatta is a bit far by bus to theme parks, etc.?) I found a nice place at Currumbin, but the reviews advised having a car to access restaurants and shopping. We'd be fine with a hotel that has a restaurant, but it seems there's mostly apartments, without restaurants, that are beachfront? We could walk a bit to a restaurant, though. I don't think we'd use a kitchen in an apartment. I'm assuming that all apartments have to be cleaned before you leave them? (I'm just used to staying in hotels, no cleaning.) So...could anyone advise a place (preferably nice low-rise hotel or apartment) that has sandy beachfront (preferably no roads to cross), with a restaurant nearby, near a spot for surfing lessons (or where the surf lesson company would pick us up), and easy access to a bus to the theme parks/Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary? Whew - maybe I'm being too picky:)Trying to figure this out is exhausting me, so I appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you!! (P.S. any suggestions on where to take surfing lessons or the location of a good spot for beginner surfers would also be appreciated!)

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel and surfing around Burleigh Heads?

Hi!

So if you aren't going to have a car, I would recommend Burleigh. There is a great village with lots of restuarants, shops, bakeries etc within walking distance of most accommodation.

Burleigh has a great surfing beach. I would recommend contacting Godfathers of the Ocean. It is run by Munga Barry and he gives great lessons - I've done some myself with him!

In terms of apartments, you do not have to clean a self contained apartment - you have to leave it in a reasonable condition. So you usually are expected to have removed your rubbish and washed your dishes - that's about it. You don't have to vaccuum, mop, make beds etc...

Low rises in Burleigh ... hmmm ... you could try The Village, or Paradise Grove. The Village would be my first choice. Both are near shops and bus stops. You can get to Currumbin Sanctuary and Dreamworld from here.

The other thing you can do is go to www.goldcoastburleightourism.com.au it will give you a run down on all the accommodation in the area.

Please feel free to message me if you want anymore help.

canada
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel and surfing around Burleigh Heads?

TorontoDragon (or anyone else),

We thought that the Sands Mediterranean on the esplanade in Burleigh looks pretty nice online, and looks like a nice location. Are you familiar with it? Do you think that this may be a convenient place for us? Would it be quite close to the Godfather of the Ocean surfing lessons (within walking distance?)

Thank you very much!!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel and surfing around Burleigh Heads?

Hi

The Mediterranean Resort is located in North Burleigh. Quite a walk from the main Burleigh Beach and Restaurant area. But certainly doable.

I would look at the new "Ambience on Burleigh Beach" if I were you and they have some good opening specials in http:www.wotif.com.au/ at the moment.

Also Swell Resort or perhaps a villa in the Burleigh Beach Tourist Park.

canada
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel and surfing around Burleigh Heads?

Beach8um,

Thanks for your suggestions; I will look into these resorts too. Do you know, though, where surfing lessons are offered in Burleigh (I think I read that it's at "the point"?)and whether the Sands Mediterranean is within easy walking distance of that? We can walk a bit to restaurants, etc. (our youngest is 7 and has good stamina.) I believe I read that cafes/restaurants are a 5-10 minute walk from there; do you think that's accurate? We have a couple of picky eaters, so won't need much by way of fancy restaurants where they won't eat well anyway:)Do you happen to know how long it would take to go by bus to Dreamworld from here, since we won't have a car?

Thank you very much!!

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel and surfing around Burleigh Heads?

Hi again!

Agree with some of the suggestions from Beachbum. North Burleigh is a bit of a trek from downtown Burleigh. Ambience is a high rise - for low rise I would look at The Village, Swell (though it has a noisy pub/nightclub downstairs), or Paradise Grove.

If you want a fully self contained apartment you could do Ambience, Burleigh Beach Tower, Gemini Court, La Pacifique.

You can get the local bus to Dreamworld - take the T1 - it's about an hour and a half. Or take a shuttle which picks you up from your hotel door. They leave the Burleigh area at about 9.15am and cost approx $18 for an adult or $10 for a child - this is a return fare.

There are tonnes of great little cafes and restaurants in Burleigh! If you are staying in and around the village central (i.e any of the hotels mentioned above), it would be no more than a 5 min walk.

As for surfing lessons - I again would recommend Godfathers of the Ocean. They are right on Burleigh Beach. They have a small office in the bottom of the Beach House (just near the surfclub). Munga Barry is an awesome teacher. Again no more than 5 mins from any of the above.

6. Re: hotel and surfing around Burleigh Heads?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2009, 05:33
Get answers to your questions about Burleigh Heads