We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bushfire Risks ???

Which Caloundra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bushfire Risks ???

Hi,

as a family from uk staying in Caloundra and absolutely no idea about bushfires - what are the actual risks - is it just the rural areas. I am seeing on Skynews about high risk of fires.

We was planning trips to Aussie Zooo, Glass Mountains and Montville this week when the temps are lower and I assume risks are. Should we wait until later in the week or are the press just hyping it up.

regards

Cheeks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bushfire Risks ???

I guess the press are 'hyping it up' to an extent given the tragic events of Black Saturday earlier this year. We have had a very dry winter and are headed for a very hot summer.

Caloundra would not be a high risk area - nor much of the Sunshine Coast, which has mostly sub-tropical and sand vegetation with the occassional cane farm and pine forest. The majority of the high risk bushland is somewhat West of this.

You will see large signs on the roadsides advising the Fire Danger levels each day. Listen to the local radio for any other pertinent news and follow instructions if required.

Sounds like we are in for a very hot week - for the last week of WINTER !! Carry plenty of water & reapply your sunscreen regularly too.

travel safe :)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bushfire Risks ???

nothing to do with caloundra but who would have thought we would have a 200ha bushfire at our back door in august on the south coast of nsw. 3 days of helicopter water bombing has eventually brought it under control but with 2 days of gale force winds predicted we are still on alert. i think it will be a pretty dicey summer all over.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bushfire Risks ???

With little rainfall for a while, higher temperatures than usual and strong winds, the countryside is becoming drier quicker and I think it was down on the Gold Coast or somewhere that way I saw a report of a small fire [under control].

Queensland coastal regions do not normally get the same extent of fires that have ravaged southern states; disastrous and tragic events in Victoria earlier this year, and huge fires in all states occur far too frequently but it is the type of forest/bush with the Eucalyts, their oil and forest floor fuel build up which can make them so.

As 40ish says, Queensland has more tropical growth and even though still a lot of Eucalypts, countryside is nowhere as near dry as what it is in southern states.

And it's the really strong gusty winds that can make fires more serious very quickly but you ought to be pretty safe for the areas you're visiting.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bushfire Risks ???

As others have said, there is probably minimum risk, however there are plantation Pine forests on the way up to Australia Zoo which could be susceptible. I recall a few years ago that the median strip on the freeway to the Sunshine Coast was on fire. Quite a feet since the grass was only about 3 cm tall but tinder dry. I must admit that through me a bit.

33 degrees in Brisbane today, I believe thats a record for Winter.

regards

Oscar

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bushfire Risks ???

There certainly is a small risk from bush fires if you happen to be a land holder or frequent the rural forested areas of the Sunshine Coast.

However, the likelihood of being endangered from a bush fire as tourist, frequenting the touristy, beachy areas is so remote it doesn't warrant more than a mild concern. Even if you do travel to Australia Zoo, Glasshouse and Montville.

It would be akin to worrying about the likelihood of being involved in a serious car accident or being seriously assaulted in the street. Might Happen sure, but very unlikely....

6. Re: Bushfire Risks ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:17