We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunshine Coast at Xmas time

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sunshine Coast at Xmas time

We cannot decide if we should stay in Caloundra at Windward Passage or Noosavillage River Resort in Noosaville. We are after somewhere with affordable takeaways and restaurants (that we can walk to) and some kind of entertainment at night would be good. Can we swim in the noosaville river and pumicestone passage? The Sunshine Coast looks stunning and it really is a difficult choice as to which location would give us a more peaceful and relaxing holiday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunshine Coast at Xmas time

Hi,

My pick would be Noosaville. - plenty of cafes & restaurants. Thomas Street & Gympie Terrace area of Noosaville is the hub of many restaurants.

Its also 15–25 minutes walk from Hastings Street and Noosa Beach, & 5mins drive into Noosa if you want to dine & swim there too.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunshine Coast at Xmas time

I love noosa. Noosaville is a great spot, lots of takeaway places and cafes, ferry/ kayak on the river. Personally i wouldnt swim in the river myself, prefer to swim at the beach. You probably need to get transport over to noosa hastings st to the main beach or over to sunshine/sunrise beaches. The national park is a great spot for walking/swimming. Again, from gympie tce it would be a long long walk (4kms) to the closest beach. We try to stay as close to hastings st as possible, but of course its pricier. And so is the food. There is not a lot of entertainment at night, its quite quiet and many restaurants will be closed a lot earlier than in melbourne.

Caloundra is also a lovely spot. We have stayed near the windward passage apartments and its a 10-15 minute walk down esplanade rd to the beaches. Lots of cafes and cheap eats. The beaches there are also quite nice. There is a lovely walkway along the ocean front. Again, i personally wouldnt swim in the pumicestone passage itself but would prefer to walk over to the beach. You can also rent kayaks and paddle across the passage to the island. Again, reasonably quiet at night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunshine Coast at Xmas time

Thank you so much. I think we will book noosaville.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunshine Coast at Xmas time

Both are great spots and have beautiful water aspects. The village centre of Golden Beach has a good mix of cafes, a deli, bakery, mini supermarket, restaurants and everything is together in one compact area that's easy to reach. For nightlife head to one of the many clubs in and around Caloundra. Most have a courtesy bus to make life easy. There is live entertainment on offer every single night at the Caloundra RSL and lots of good special events and shows on offer over and above the free entertainment. Not sure of your dates but there is also a large Christmas Carols event at Kings Beach Park the Sunday before Christmas that is a beautiful experience and a family New Year's Event event on the 31st December also at Kings Beach.

Just some extra thoughts for you to consider.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunshine Coast at Xmas time

Sorry I have taken so long to reply. We have finally booked Windward Passage Caloundra.

It looks beautiful.

Thanks for your help.

6. Re: Sunshine Coast at Xmas time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2017, 00:18