We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day on the island!

Which Cowes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
A day on the island!

I have some international friends coming over in a couple of weeks and i will be taking them to the penguin parade!

As it is about a 3 hour drive from my place i thought i'd try and make it a full day thing and try and get some other activities involved.

Where is the koala conservation center i've heard about? Is it worth going to?

Is it seal rocks or the nobbies down there where all the seals are? Are there any ferries which can take us out to get a good look?

As they have never even seen a surf beach i was hoping to get them in for a bit of fun in the waves. Are there any of the learn to surf places like they have in Torquay? Which beach would be best for just a bit of fun but is still reasonably safe? (I don't know how well they can swim...)

And finally, do i need to book tickets for the penguin parade???

Thats all i can think of for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day on the island!

Hi Aussieinengland(in Melbourne)

Couple of answers and a suggestion. Smiths beach is a lovely beach usually with moderate waves so Ok for a paddle. I have seen a learn to surf place there but do not know any details. ( smiths Beach is on your left about 2 -3 kms after you get onto the island.Woolami is a geat surf beach but can have huge surf so may not be suiatble for them if it is not patrolled by life guards when you are there.

Koala Conservation Centre is on the main road to Cowes'you can't miss it. Its OK, you walk around on boardwalks up at the Koala level, Last time I was there, I think there were only 3 or 4 koalas but you do see them reasonably close.

http://www.penguins.org.au/content.asp?pg=57

If you can be there early enough the pelican feeding at San Remo at 11.30 each day if free and pretty good fun. Maybe stop for a look and an early lunch at one of the pubs or some fish and chips before you go over onto the island. Have a great day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
601 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day on the island!

We booked our penguin parade tickets 2 weeks ago for the end of March, took a look the next day and it was sold out!! I would book in advance!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day on the island!

Thanks for the tips. I ended up booking the 3 park pass. So we can see koalas, penguins and seals. Will definately try and get down there by 11:30 for the pelican feeding!

Didn't find a whole lot of info about the 3 park pass on the web site so i don't know whether its good value or not??

I'll post again after we go and let you all know whether its worth it!

Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day on the island!

As well as the pelican feeding at San Remo there are usually about 6 very large stingrays that also come in for a feed of fish, the best place to watch is on the bridge as you are up higher and get a better view of the stingrays. Hopefully the water will be calm and clear as it makes for better viewing. We sat on the roof of the fish co-op next to where the feeding takes place and ate fresh fish and chips for lunch,well worth a visit.

Regards Mary

Melbourne
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day on the island!

Adding to previous post. Yes there are ferries that take you out to seal rocks. The booking office at the pier in Cowes has boards out indicating trips, prices and also whether they are going or not depending on the weather forecast.

Also on your way not long after you have travelled over the San Remo Bridge, there is a terrific information Centre well worth a stop at. That also gives all the info re the penguins, what time they are due in etc. They do have an Island Pass that takes you into 3 places that might be worth you deciding if you are going to do. The Penguin Centre itself is an interactive display and well worth a visit even if you did this earlier in the day and its always very crowded at the night times.

The Nobbies which is all boardwalk, is well worth a visit and the seal centre there has lots of info, displays (presuming it is still open??? - not been for a couple of years now and it did have trouble at one stage??)

As for surfing, YC beach (the next one after Smiths) is also good. Smiths and YC are supposed to be the safest ones for learning becaise they are in a bay and no rips (as my son used to tell me, but maybe that was so I would let him go out there??). But so actually seeing spectacular surf you cant beat Wolloomai Beach.

Have fun.

I always love showing visitors around our fantastic state.

6. Re: A day on the island!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Cowes
Recent Conversations