We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Island Day Tour

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Fraser Island Day Tour

I've got 4 days in Noosa in early January and am considering the possibility of a day tour to Fraser Island.

There seems to be quite a few operators. I'd prefer one that goes with smaller groups than the ones that take up to 24 people at a time.

Any recommendations of which companies I should consider?

I'll need to contact them in advance to check suitability of me going as I have a visual impairment and can impact my balance if having to walk quickly on uneven ground or through forests with lots of obstacles. I'd like to go but don't want to end up being a pain in the proverbial for other people!

10 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

AM, message Rob at Emeraldene - he will be able to advise you very well.

www.emeraldene.com.au/…

Cheers

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

+1 for #1 Rob at Emeraldene is the go to person for info on Fraser Island tours.

Cheers.

Edited: 13 December 2017, 20:48
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

Hmmm, I thought you were talking about me :o)

Back to the beautiful Sunshine Coast AM, it's a shame you're not there in September 2018, you, SB and I could have met up :o(

With regards to Fraser Is, there are a few that start off from Noosa, to me the issue with these tours is you have a 1 hour drive to Inskip Point (ferry to Fraser Island), then you have the return journey. It's a nice enough drive, but I always say your objective is to get to Fraser Island as early as possible. I believe these tours depart Hook Point on Fraser for their return journey early in the afternoon, which again diminishes your time on the island.

Is there anyway you can spend some time in Hervey Bay, I believe there's a very knowledgeable person there?

Rob

Edited: 13 December 2017, 21:11
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

Lol Rob! Looking forward to a meal overlooking the water next September :-)

Cheers.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

I’m coming back in Sept 2018, but haven’t sorted out where yet. My must dos are Exmouth, Esperance and Canberra from Floriade; the rest is till to be decided and Sunshine Coast is definitely not out of the question.

That’s a good point about travel time from Noosa. Trying to experience Fraser Island in a day is probably already a bit of a rush, never mind extra time on the road. Staying at Harvey Bay overnight is not an option this rime. I e had to prepY for my Noosa accomodation and it’s not cheap. Not as eye watering lay expensive as my Sydney hotel but steep enough, I’m staying there!

Think I may be better trying to plan in a visit another time to FInwhen I actually have more time to experience it.

Thanks for your insight.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

Me as well SB, and AM, September is a great time for whale watching out of Hervey Bay, I believe we'll be doing the whale watching at least once, I'll PM you our dates when we're on the SC, SB & AM.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

Sounds like a plan. This can be my wildflower and whale trip, since I’m doing the swim with humpbacks at Exmouth but no objection to seeing more whales at Hervey Bay!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

Sounds like a plan! Love a good TA meet-up.

Cheers.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

Morning all,

I haven't cleared my PO Box in a while, so my invitation to lunch at Noosa in Sep 2018 must be on the way lol!

AM - further to the excellent advice already posted my thoughts as follows ...

Early Jan - probably the most crowded time of year to be visiting Fraser Island - i'm not a fan of visiting in the time from Dec 22 - Jan 15 ... the island is full to capacity.

Day Tours from Noosa - as Rob T has mentioned ... a LOT of travelling to spend half a day at best on Fraser. You only get to see the middle of the island and miss a lot of the "tick the box" sites.

Day Tours - if it is your first time visiting, and you have the option (ie another visit to the region), you should definitely do a 2 day tour, which allows you to see much more of the island, and enjoy some quality time at all the amazing sites.

September - as Rob T has suggested ... one of the best times of year to be visiting Fraser Island and Hervey Bay (whales, whales, whales!) .. and throw in a day trip to Lady Elliot Island

This trip - if you are still considering Fraser for this trip, and you have a vehicle, I would drive to Rainbow Beach to catch a day tour from there ... it will be an early start from Noosa, but at least you will get a full day on the island and visit some additional locations (such as Eli Creek, Maheno Shipwreck).

Day Tours from Noosa - a lot of these trips market to the backpacker market. I t is worth checking reviews to determine a tour that appeals to your touring demographic ...

If you would like any specific operator recommendations or suggestions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Rob

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraser Island Day Tour

Hi Rob,

>> if you are still considering Fraser for this trip, and you have a vehicle, << AmoMondo does not drive at all, so if AM turns up at Hervey Bay, it will have to be all tours.

>> haven't cleared my PO Box in a while, so my invitation to lunch at Noosa in Sep 2018 must be on the way lol! << it will be at Caloundra :o))

Rob (is there another name, maybe we should call you George)

Reply to: Fraser Island Day Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted