We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Island without an organised tour

Belfast
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fraser Island without an organised tour

Hi

Will be in Noosa around Christmas time.

Is there any way of getting to Fraser Island without doing one of the 4WD tours?

Thanks!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

Not from Noosa. You'd need to catch a Greyhound Coach to Hervey Bay, and then hire 4whd vehicle, and get a barge/car ferry from River Heads. There is also a car barge for 4whd's from Rainbow Beach, but its some 80k inland from Gympie, north of Noosa

I certainly would not recommend this option for an inexperienced 4whd driver at all. Sadly there have been many fatal accidents on the beach at Fraser by inexperienced drivers. It's usually a very busy time around Xmas.

In my opinion, it would be cheaper and safer to go on an organised tour.

Edited: 05 December 2010, 11:21
Belfast
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

Thanks for that.

I'm just really interested in spending the day at Lake Makenzie as opposed to doing a whole island tour, which is what most of the operators offer.

Most tours seem to be around $160 dollars and only spend an hour or so at Lake Makenzie.

Is this generally the case?

thanks!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

As we have our own 4WD we haven't used the tours. But we have gone over to Kingfisher Bay Resort from Hervey Bay, as they had specials from there for dinner with the boat transfer included from Hervey Bay when we've stayed with our friends at HB.

They also have a backpackers near KFBR too. I'd be inclined to email them and ask as they do have eco tours eg where you want to go..Lake Mackenzie

http://www.kingfisherbay.com/eco-tours.html

Now that this post is 'bumped' up I hope someone else has some good ideas for you too.

happy travels

Edited: 13 December 2010, 11:13
Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

try pelican 4wd hire. however i think the minimum is a 2 day hire to do fraser

http://www.pelican4x4hire.com.au/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

We also have our own 4WD so have not used tours on Fraser.

If you do end up hiring your own 4WD for the day, be sure to read the safety information and track conditions report on the Department of Environment and Resource Management website: www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/index.html

There's also a helpful video and tips for driving on sand, which is very very different from driving on a normal road.

Belfast
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

Many thanks for that info.

Am going to go ahead with an organised tour - Fraser Island Adventure Tours offer a tour than spends a couple of hours at Lake Makenzie.

Hopefully the weather will hold out over Christmas and it wont be a wash out??

qld australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

weather here at the moment is really hot, humid with afternoon storms and i mean every afternoon, so be prepared for some bad weather and high humidity

Belfast
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

Thanks, looking at the forecast there seems to be so much rain!

Does it tend to rain all day or will there be some respite from the rain?

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

The first week in December we spent at Noosa and it rained the entire week, throughout the days and nights. That was unlucky. My husband was up there again from Wednesday through to Saturday last week and it was beautiful. But I do believe we're in for some pretty ordinary weather over Christmas.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraser Island without an organised tour

livapool, the weather we are experiencing right now is not necessarily 'typical' so its very hard to predict. We have had over 10 years of drought conditions in South East Queensland so summers in Noosa have, for a long time, been warm and sunny with occassional late storms.

We have now moved into a 'la nina' weather pattern which means rain and more rain.At least water is no longer an issue but yes, it is likely to upset a few holiday makers. At least we can assure you it wont be cold and unlikey to be windy so its still possibel to enjoy yourself. ( you can still swim - you're only going to get wet right ? ;-), but sales on jigsaw puzzles are likely to spike ;-))