We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser island day trip + Mosquitoes query

Melbourne
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Fraser island day trip + Mosquitoes query

Hi,

Will be in Noosa in the 1st week of December. What's the best way to see Fraser Island as a solo traveller on a daytrip? would I have to organise through a tour operator prior to my arrival or leave it for when I'm in Noosa.

Are mosquitoes a big problem in December on Fraser island? they seem to be drawn to me and I dont wanna spoil my trip with nasty welts

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser island day trip + Mosquitoes query

Hi Jenny, with regards to tours you might get some info out of a review attached. Not many people who do tours on Fraser Island post reviews, and most who respond to the Fraser Island Forum drive the island themselves. One word of advice, if the budget is OK get a bus tour with a small group. If you get on one of the large buses I've been told you will feel like you're in a washing machine that bounces. Check the link below

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255078-i2048-k…

Mozzies query, yes there will be mozzies, but they should not be to much of a problem during a day tour. The biggest bug problem will more than likely be sandflies. Both little bities are less in amount on the main beach side (east side) and usually only found in the shade under the trees.

My cousin has an attraction from bitties like you, and he's always up at Fraser Island without to much bother.

Get a small bottle of Rid, and you'll be fine.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 22 November 2012, 22:06
Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser island day trip + Mosquitoes query

the problem is usually midges.....i go often and find that dusk and dawn are the major problems.

The Explorer buses are the way to go as I pass them as the thunder up the waters edge......again the smaller ones are better.

It seems that the larger ones i have met on the inland road seem to be coming from the Frazer Island resort side so Noosa may be the best place for the smaller trips.

3. Re: Fraser island day trip + Mosquitoes query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Noosa