We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

Which Noosa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

Hi Guys,

Am looking for some chill-out time after staying in Brisbane for the first Lions test, and am thinking of heading up North to Noosa using the Sunair shuttles. My question is can I get around okay without a hire-car? I am only planning to stay for a few nights before returning to Brisbane to catch my return flight to London.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

Noosa is quite a small hamlet with most amenities within walking distance of Hastings street. The National Park is a bit of a longer walk but certainly doable. For a couple of nights, certainly.

Oscar

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

mmm well, you can certainly get around Noosa without a car, but if I had a couple of days in the area, I'd want to venture a little along the river and up into the hinterland.

http://www.visitsunshinecoast.com.au/

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

There are regular public buses into Noosa too. Quite usable.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
282 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

Hi,

If you stay in Noosa (close to Hastings St) itself, it shouldn't be a problem at all. So you need to make sure when you book your accommodation that it's as close as you can get to that. Then you can walk the National Park, go to the beach and take the ferry/bus to Noosaville and you wouldn't need a car.

Alternatively, you can also stay on Gympie Terrace in Noosavile (which is about a 10 minute bus ride from Noosa Heads) or a 30 minute walk and have the cafes/restaurants/ferry stops there and then start exploring.

There are buses everywhere and also tour operators with loads of options. I think if you are only coming to Noosa once and only for a few days, a hotel/motel close to Hastings would be your easiest option.

I think you should be fine.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

Hi Guys,

Thanks - wow that was prompt! Will certainly keep this in mind. Also, one last question, am I right in thinking that the Greyhound buses may well be cheaper than catrching the SunAir shuttle buses. I looked on the web-site and $54 each way seems a little pricey.....or is that me being a little tight?

Steve

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
282 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

Hey Steve,

Sunair goes direct from the airport, hourly. How much time and money do you want to spend to get into Brisbane to get your Greyhound and then wait for a bus schedule that is definetely not hourly?

Sometimes saving money is a good thing, sometimes the easiest option might alos be the best one/

It's 135km, $54 door to door doesn't sound too bad to me.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

To the airport, yes go with a shuttle.

To Brisbane city, much cheaper by public transport from Noosa.

Use the journey planner, type in Noosa Heads bus station to Brisbane.

www.translink.com.au

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

Hi Aqua Pacifica, your quite right - just being beeing a little too carefuly with the pennies!!

Going back to your previous post about accomodation, I was looking at the Flash Backpackers close to Sunshine Beach but do you think its too far away from the National Park and other must-sees? Am certrainly looking to try and do as much as possible during my short stay.

Also what are your views on day-trips to Fraser Island and these companys: "Fraser Island Adventure Tours" and "Fraser Island Discovery"??

Steve

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
282 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

Hi,

I live around the corner from the Flashpackers, it's actually a little bit in the middle of nowhere, as it's not right in Sunshine Beach (the suburb is quite large) but it looks nice and they do have a shuttle I see running around town, so they will definetely drive you into town. It would be a 15 minute walk to Sunshine Beach, 10 minute walk to the junction and 30 minute walk to Hastings St. You could definetely do your excursions from there.

I think the YHA in Noosa is actually one of the best places to stay for backpackers in town - it's got the best address in the city, the building is heritage protected and beautiful and they have a lounge bar with chilled out music, some good food and you are right in the centre of things. I would stay there if they have room. It really is one of the best youth hostels in Australia and the name is a bit of a misnomer because a lot of people stay there that are not your typical backpackers.

Fraser Island day trips are worthwhile but EXHAUSTING. I did one years ago and it was nice but I was whacked at the end of it, as it is a fair way. Depends how much you want to cram into your couple of days.

Hope this helps.

10. Re: Wanting to explore Noosa without rental-car, good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Noosa