We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
160 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Hi fellow travellers,

After some thorough research on the internet, between Caloundra, Maloolooba and Noosa have decided Noosa was the better destination for our family holiday, just because it has more to see and do, also imo has the nicest beach.

So looking through accommodation, it seems there are only a hand full of beach front resorts at prices starting FROM $400! Seriously $400 for a night??

Anyway my question is: Is there anywhere we can stay that is as close as possible to the beach without costing an arm and a leg?!

I've looked at Noosaville, seems a lot cheaper and most have water views or situated along the river, but I don't know if I could let my kids swim in the river? How safe and clean is it? I've read some forum regarding bull sharks! Not appealing when you have 3 young children.....

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
160 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Hi All, just an update, we have just arrived from our holiday and had an amazing time, would like to say a big thanks to everyone for their suggestions, a big help in making our trip a great one.

I must say I am extremely glad we didn't stay in Noosa as we found Golden beach in Caloundra just perfect for us, quite beach and no busy roads, easy access to the calm beach.

We did visit Noosa for a day, found it too busy for our liking, though the beach was beautiful. We spent time at the National park and on the beach.

We also spent a day in Maloolooba, this would have been my second choice or maybe for our next trip to the SC. We had dinner at the surf club overlooking the beach, great food and atmosphere.

We just wanted to relax and spend time on the beach after a week on the Gold coast doing theme parks, this was just perfect!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
318 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Golden Beach Caloundra is the perfect base for family holidays. There is a great caravan park, newly renovated with self contained units facing the waters edge for rental. Noosa is busy and expensive. You made a good choice.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,888 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Thanks for the update. Great feedback for other travellers and glad you enjoyed your time on the Sunshine Coast!

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
70 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Location, location, location

Noosa Heads is prime real estate with more up market shopping and beach at your doorstep hence higher prices.

Do yourself a favour as mentioned in some of these posts and look for a place at Noosavilla/Tewantin, much better loaction IMHO - i've been to Noosaville around 8 times with family. Little more family friendly, plenty of eating places, across road from river, great walking/cycling track back into Noosaheads. Can walk to NoosaHeads a few kms or cycle or take ferry.

parking at Noosaheads is sometimes quite difficult and you have to pay in some areas.

Recommend everglades boat trip if you haven't done something like this before - for a relaxing day out.

The other areas mentioned along beach front south of Noosa are a little more towards the Gold Coast experience in my view but toned down a little. Never been disappointed at Noosaville.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

I know I am probably too late to help you, but if others are asking the same question your best bet would be the weekly accommodation available along Noosa Sound. It is a walk or short bus ride down to the Hastings Street bus terminal and the prices are more geared to families with cooking facilities, etc.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 23:42
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Why? Because people are prepared to pay...im not so I dont go there...I camp on absolute beach front in many places in australia,,,, all for free. Go to places that are not so pretentious, and you will find you can still have a fantastic time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Hi magpie...!!....Has Mr.Ranger ever told you not to camp here and to move on....??....It has happened to me more than once,and the first time was in the early 80's at Forster.....

Anyway it's all about freedom of choice....If you prefer to camp,then that's great...!!....If one has worked hard and want to treat themselves and pay $1000+/night for luxury,then that's also their choice.....

I really miss those days staying in my VW camper,surfing up and down the east coast....!!

sincerely...The budget traveller,,,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

I like Peregian Beach - great village, foreshore park for a the kids, good dining options, community feel. Sunshine beach is 10 mins by car north and Noosa 15 mins. Australia Zoo would be 40 mins away south. Underwater world 20 mins south. Wahoo Seafood in Peregian or Squid Ink at Sunshine Beach for seafood in the area.

qld australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

noosa is the most expensive part of the sunshine coast, their are plenty of other places to stay which are just as nice, Mooloolaba and Caloundra are good but if you have 3 small children I would pick kings beach just north of Caloundra it is vey child friendly and if you want to go to the zoo or underwater world it's much closer than noosa.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
318 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Absolutely agree with qldmaggie. Caloundra's Kings Beach playgrounds and parks fronting the beach are great for families and bbq's. Accommodation is much cheaper too. Not far to drive to Coolum or Peregian, Noosa and the Hinterland from Caloundra. A nice peaceful community atmosphere exists there.