We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight trip to Mendoza?

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
224 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight trip to Mendoza?

I realize that this may be better suited to the Mendoza forum, but since we will be leaving and returning to Santiago....I thought I'd start here and if I decide to go to Mendoza then switch to that forum.

Since we have a month in Santiago (June-July) and since we paid our reciprocity fees for Argentina last year, we are thinking about taking a day or two to fly up to Mendoza. I don't want to spend a fortune since I'm already paying for a home in Texas and an apartment in Santiago. So will a day or two be sufficient? And how about getting to and from the Mendoza airport? Do we have to take a taxi or are there buses? LAN seems to have a pretty good roundtrip deal if we go Saturday-Monday/Tuesday.

Any opinions, ideas, advice?

Mentioned in this post
Mendoza
Mendoza
Province of Mendoza, Argentina
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,106 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight trip to Mendoza?

No reason not to take a break in Mendoza if you already have a paid reciprocity fee for Argentina. Flying is the better option at that time of year. You can easily have some nice meals, maybe visit a vineyard or two. We have taken a taxi from the airport in Mendoza, which was close to the city, as far as I remember, so I don't know about a bus. There is a Mendoza resident on the Argentina forum who should know.

Sometimes LAN has good packages with flight + hotel.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 18:16
Mentioned in this post
Mendoza
Mendoza
Argentina
Argentina
South America
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight trip to Mendoza?

The times I've come in through the airport I also took a taxi. There should be a sort of official service with fixed prices listed depending on what part of Mendoza you need to get to.

Sit on the left side going or right side returning to see Aconcagua. Quite spectacular..

Mentioned in this post
Mendoza
Mendoza
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
989 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight trip to Mendoza?

You are missing a spectacular bus trip from Santiago to Mendoza if you fly. Try to book early and ask for the front right seats. We did and it made the view even better.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Mendoza
Mendoza
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight trip to Mendoza?

June-July are not exactly precipitation-free months and the weathermen gods say this will be a wetter winter. Only do the bus if you have the time and flexibility for any border closures. I have done it twice in winter and it is quite spectacular. Only book after reviewing the long term weather forecast for the week.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 16:47
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
989 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight trip to Mendoza?

Good idea to check the weather, eeuunikkeiexpat

I have found yr.no to be very reliable. See - yr.no/place/Chile/Santiago/Santiago/long.html

Interesting forecast for Mendoza - light rain for most of next week - yr.no/place/…long.html

Mentioned in this post
Mendoza
Mendoza
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,106 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight trip to Mendoza?

The weather in Santiago and Mendoza will possibly give you an idea of the weather at the Libertadores pass but not a real forecast. Los Andes or Uspallata would be closer to the mark. The weather at altitude is quite different and a forecast for Santiago will not really help. A light rain in Santiago can be a full blown storm at Libertadores. Someone posted a link for weather around Aconcagua - probably for climbers - which was very detailed. It should be on the forum somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Mendoza
Mendoza
Andes Hostel
Andes Hostel
617 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
7. Re: Overnight trip to Mendoza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Santiago Metropolitan...