We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto vs. Porto Gaia

New York, NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Porto vs. Porto Gaia

I'm seeing hotels for both Porto and Porto Gaia. What's the difference between the two locations? And which is near the hustle of the city? How far is it between the two and are they connected via metro or train?

Thank you.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,018 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto vs. Porto Gaia

Porto and Gaia are two separate cities divided by the Douro river. Porto is much bigger and better known to tourists. Gaia is nice enough to walk around and has some interesting little spots, but nothing on the scale of Porto.

Most of the big hotels in Gaia (correctly Vila Nova de Gaia) are slightly out of town alongside the motorways and the shopping malls. Those areas have no metro connection across the river to Porto, only buses. The walk between the two across the bridge is a matter of a few hundred yards but obviously other areas are further apart,

The metro yellow line runs through the centre of Gaia with several stops, then goes across the Dom João I bridge into Porto.

Gaia is the side of the river where most of the port wine warehouses are located as that side of the river has a flat area where the boats could dock. The Porto side is pretty well a sheer cliff in that area.

The hotels are marked on Google Maps as is the metro, so I suggest you check locations there or at a similar site.

Edited: 07 December 2013, 09:09
Lisbon
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto vs. Porto Gaia

I'm not sure which kind of city hustle you're looking for...but I suppose you should look around the Aliados Avenue as that's the proper city center close to many shops, bars, restaurants, attractions an so on.

cheers,

miguel

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,696 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto vs. Porto Gaia

Stay in Porto.

4. Re: Porto vs. Porto Gaia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Porto District