We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
686 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

All the reviews seem good for these hotels. We would be going the third week in March. This is our first time skiing in Austria with our son. My husband speaks German, but I do not. We need a place where our son will be welcome and comfortable, with easy access to the ski school. I would appreciate any recommendations.

by the way, any experience with the children's ski school?

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

All 3 hotels are good and I do not believe that any would make you unhappy

A great ski resort..

Berghof is by the ski school in Lech. and if this is your primary concern , this may be very good

My personal preference is the Goldener Berg in Oberlech.

I believe they still have the ski school meeting point there . Check with the hotel to confirm this.

This hotel has always had superb food and Oberlech is a great place to enjoy your vacation.

Especially in March you will find many coming there to enjoy the warm sun and numerous dining terraces. The late Princess Diana was seen there on occasion. among other notables.

The ski school at all levels is excelent , but never had experiences with kids there. I have only seen the instructors working with the kids on the piste and they are most patient and watchful.

No trouble without german skills as most everyone will speak good english.

Mentioned in this post
Oberlech
Oberlech
Vorarlberg, Austria
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

Forgot to add some prior discussions about these hotels on this forum- just insert the hotel names in the search box and you will find this info.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

Thank you for your reply. We are leaning towards the Goldener Berg--why do you prefer it? I could not quite figure out if it is more convenient or more isolating to be in oberlech...

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

Oberlech is auto free zone. The cable car takes you and the luggage to the mountain side .

You simply check your luggage at the cable car in town and they get it to your hotel for you. A series of tunnels allows for movementes of all goods below ground for a perfect mountain feeling.

Oberlech is small , quiet , romantic , and life centers on the hotel.

I like the ski in ski out situation. Nice to just put your skis on and go as you wish and also return. Whether down toward Lech or catch a nearby lift still higher, before many other skiers have arrived in the area.

Great to arrange a midday pause in a restaurnt there in Oberlech. easy to change any wet clothing , get something forgotten or just relax take a swin, sauna and watch the world go by.

It is very popular to dine there at midday and enjoy the sun. on the terraces. march great for this.

Still nice to take the cable car to town, walk down or even a tobaggan .

Then back when you wish . Cable car runs in the evening too.

For me a quiet change of pace in a nice atmosphere.

Mentioned in this post
Oberlech
Oberlech
Vorarlberg, Austria
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

Thanks again, sounds wonderful. What is the most efficient way to get there from the Zurich airport, by the arlsburg transfer bus or the train? I am concerned with changing trains with all our luggage and the little one in tow, but is it much prettier and faster than taking the bus? We don't want to be burdened with a car that we won't use otherwise.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

many like the Arlberg express bus .

www.arlbergexpress.com

But check the bus schedule and your arrival time at the airport .

This not always extra convenient.

For the train

www.oebb.at

The airport has a train station in the lower level . This easy to reach with luggage cart .

You can take a transfer to the city station and then transfer to the onward train to the stop langen , the nearest to Lech.

This is a main line with frequent trains.

Taxi s , mini bus waits for the train and then a relatively short ride to lech.

As you note the train route involves several changes and after a long plane ride can be stressful.

You can best decide as you know your comfort level.

If timing is good, I would take the bus.

A car once you reach Lech is just a costly burden

You also avoid having to make the short drive from langen through Zurs to Lech that for a few first time drivers with various tunnels and avalanche barriers can be a little uncomfortable..

Mentioned in this post
Zurs
Zurs
Vorarlberg, Austria
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

How does the Haldenhof compare to the Goldener Berg? There are packages available through an American Agent that are comparable in price, but I don't know how are the food and the accomodations.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

Haldenhof is not in Oberlech but rather in Lech.

I have not been in the hotel but know its approximate location - this is across the small bridge over the lech River and slightly up hill I think.

A few minutes walk to the lifts. It is a 4 star place.

Godener Berg is of course better located to me in Oberlech and is 4 star plus - a little higher ranking.

I would think the Haldenhof would be nice inside as are most 4 star and up places in Lech. Food generally is very good most all places with an ample breakfast buffet and multi course and filling evening meal. If the price is the same , to me the Goldener Berg a better value but just my opinion.

Just a caution. At some hotels the least attractive and lesser located rooms are parcelled out to the package groups. No idea if this is the situation here , but at lesser places this happens and causes some to complain.

Examples, I have heard about- the room next to the elevator causing noise . The room next to the laundry, the room with the least attractive view.or the room over the kitchen.. Hopefully this would not apply to this style hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Oberlech
Oberlech
Vorarlberg, Austria
9. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 21:55
Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldener Berg, Gotthard or Berghof for family w/ 6 y.o. in ?

In December 2009 OEBB changed it's train schedule through Langen. I have taken the Zurich to Langen train multiple times in the past, but the current train schedules can make it difficult. Depeding on which train out of Zurich you take, the train may or may not stop directly at Langen.

If you want to avoid changing trains, many of the trains that do not stop in Langen will likely stop at St Anton (the next stop after Langen). From there you can take a taxi to Lech or Oberlech.

For hotels, I have only stayed in Lech. A previous poster is correct in that der Berghof is near the Lech Ski School, but it is also situated near the center of the town with easy access to stores and lifts. We were in Lech two weeks ago and the one reason we did not stay at der Berghof was formal attire was required at dinner every night. The Goldener Berg is located just up the hill from the Lech - Oberlech cable car and also is close to the Oberlech Ski School.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Oberlech
Oberlech
Vorarlberg, Austria