We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Honningsvag hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marysville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

We will be on the Norwegian Jade when it stops in Honningsvaag on Jun 18th. The ship offers a shore excursion to North Cape for $138. It looks like you can do the same thing yourself for about $15 on a local bus. The thing is it looks like Norwegian has booked everything up so you have to pay for their pricey excursions. Does anyone know of another way to see the North Cape?

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,780 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

Well, to be honest I am not sure if it is worth the time and money. It is a foggy cliff, that is all.

138 dollars is a ridicolous price.

St. Charles, Il.
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

How did you find info on the local buses? We will be on the Crown Princess in July and all I found out is that there are local buses leaving from the Market Square.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

Norwegian Jade will have prebooked all the excursions and they are ridiculously expensive.

Yes you can do it yourself - either on a bus or by hiring a taxi BUT (and this is a very big BUT) if things go wrong and the bus is late back or you miss it then you have a problem - the ship may not wait for you.... It will wait for its tour bus.

Ask yourself if you really do want to go to North Cape. For information it isn't the furthest most northern point. It is very much geared up to the tourist and it is likely there will be lots of other coaches nad people milling around too. Some people love the experience. Others don't. If it is dull, cloudy or even raining it may be a big disappointment.

If you don't go on the trip then you have time to kill in Honningsvag and to be honest there isn't much to do there, unless you like pottering around small north of Norway towns. It is a very different experience and you will begin to understand just how different life is. There is a small museum and information centre. The church may not be open. There is a nice walk around the harbour and up the hillside above the town.

Eleanor

St. Charles, Il.
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

Thank you. Yes, I know the North Cape is touristy but I do want to be there. For the moment I have booked a tour at 12 with the ship and would have the time to visit the town in the morning, except....if I can find info on how to book the local buses ahead of time. I will be there in July with the Crown Princess and expect kind of bad/cool weather, otherwise I would go to Italy.

Durban
Level Contributor
228 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

hey, I'd like to add to this topic - I will be in Honningsvag in June after disembarking the Hurtigruten, and waiting for a bus into Finland, which only leaves at 5am the following day.

I love walking around and admiring the scenery and way of life, no matter how drab that may be.

despite that, would it still be best to find a hotel and book a room for the night, to at least catch up on some sleep?

I think the bus leaves from the main Rica Hotel, so it would be best to stay there if necessary.

thanks

Andrew

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

Hi bodiski,

As we will be on the Norwegian Jade on the same cruise, we are also trying to find ways to travel to the north cape. The ship's tour price seems to us way too expensive but I think that all of the cruise tours are. This is our third cruise and up until now we've managed to tour on our own on all the stops. I agree that going to the north cape on your own seems more difficult than touring in other places and some people say it's not worth it. I'm not sure yet what we're going to do. Anyway, we would be happy to share any information we get with you or maybe we could find some way to share expenses like taking a taxi or minibus to the north cape together.

If you'd like to get in touch our mail is:

gabi1952@netvision.net.il

hoping to hear from you,

Riki

Santander
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

Going by local bus.... let me see I will be in honningsvag all summer so lets see if I can answer your questions.

It is North Cape worth a visit??

I personally think it is, may be not to came twice but ones in a live. It has some history about when was first visited, royal visitors, a beautiful cinema with a short film that is definetitly worth to see. (14 min long). Some info about the battle of North Cape (Second War Wold). and a Post office.

Weather. You are in Latitud 71!!! DO not spect nice weather, normally is cloudy, could be foggy in bad days but if you are lucky you could have the sun. It is windy most of the time!!!

Local Bus.

Maybe the bus is cheap as you said (around 100 NOK return ticket I believe), but there is only two busses to go up (to Northkapp) and two to go back to Honningsvag, IMPORTANT, the bus price does NOT cover the entrance fee. (215 NOK adult, 75 NOK children, 505 NOK FAmily (2+2)) .

The company who runs the busses is FFR (www.ffr.no) (veolia-transport.no/ruter/330-honningsvaag-n…)

You can see the scredule and see if is suitable for you depending at what time your cruise arrives and leaves.

Hope I have answered some questions. Please let me know if I can be of some more help.

Honninsvag Ice Bar. Also could be interesting to visit, It is something different for us that come from mediterranean countries, (You have to pay entrance I believe something like 125 NOK if I remember well)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

Interesting to read your report on Honningsvag. Will be arriving on the Tahitian Princess in Honningsvag on June 28. Tour costs on cruise ships are universally outragious. The information re public bus is great. I also heard that the weather can be disappointing. I am only planning to be there once.

There is one tour advertised as King Crab Photo safari.I suspect that it may be to a crab farm. Has anyone heard of this? There is no eating involved, just photography.

Any other suggestions of what one might want to visit in the area.

thanks , Uta

Santander
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

Hi Bodiski,

I have some leaflets of the area and some info regarding your question about what to do.

Bird Safari, personally I haven´t done this yet but I would like to do it. From Gjesvaer you can take a boat trip to Gjesvaerstappan Nature Reserve where you can see puffins, Cormorans and others birds nesting. I know people that have done it and like it a lot, the cost is about 400 NOK. To get there there is one or two buses dayly, You can contact Honninsvag tourist info for that. info@northcape.no

There is a Sami village, I haven´t been there is 12 km before arriving to Norhcape, in the same road, passing by it looks something insignificant, but I talked yesterday with a french couple and they highly recomended it. They have some reindeers there, souvenirs, film, and others activities.

Near Skarsvag there is a formation of a rock quite nice, kirkeporten, a hole in a rock that looks like a door,

there are some path to walk around the island,and at that time it would be green and nice.

this year is been good weather, so lets hope it stay like that!!,

Also there is a art gallery from and artist ( I think is german that settle here long time ago) Eva Schmutter) www.evart.no Her house/galery is located in Kamoyvaer.

Hope this will help you, I have to find out about the King crab experience.

Also you can do sea rafting!!!!! jejje

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honningsvaag Cruise stop in June 2009 - visit North Cape?

Spanishboy34, do you know of any car rental places in Honningsvaag, this would give us more opportunity to see some of the places you mentioned.

Get answers to your questions about Honningsvag