We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips please for Almancil trip

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Tips please for Almancil trip

Like many of new visitors to Almancil, we are deliberating over whether to rent a car for the week or take the walking , taxi route.

If we go by taxi, what is the best / cheapest way to hire a taxi to take four adults and luggage from the airport to the villa?. Do we book in advance on line or do we take the first taxi on the rank and discuss /haggle a price, which from the reports comes in at 30-40 euros.

I suppose the supplementary question is where can we get a reliable taxi company in the village that will take us back from Almancil to the airport on time!

Secondly, are we cheaper buying our bottles of spirits at the airport or wait and just buy from the Apolonia supermarket in the village.

Many thanks Drew

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

For the record we've just returned - 36 degrees on the way to the airport at 6.30pm last night! - and Pingu Duce was fab. It's easy to find off the main road in Amancil almost opposite the main pharmacie. We reckonned it was a bit of an ASDA but we've never seen fresh octopus in our local one! Just for a comparison, 5ltrs of water was 25c but almost 1.5 euros in the on site supermarket at Vilar du Golf where we were staying. Add lots of those up plus everything else up and car hire is a must - just watch those huge curb stones - we noticed them a bit late into the holiday ... Incidentally, we learnt half way through our hols that you can drink the tap water - well where we we were anyway.

While you're at Pingo Duce use their restaurant - it's fab. We had a pre-flight meal and for two drinks, two salads, two freshly grilled huge salmon portions, potatoes and veggies, the bill came to 10.45 euros. No wonder it's always packed. They also serve pizzas, meats, pastas etc.

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Having just come back from Almancil - villa was fairly remote, but stunning - and I have booked to go back to the same place next year, I can offer some advise on the car hire scenario.

There were seven of us - five teenagers and two parents. I am the only driver in the group and hired a nine seater Nissan vehicle when booking the holiday. I have done exactly the same for our 2011 holiday. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, but the week we were away for was not enough to even see the local sights.

Go for the car hire - you will not regret it. So much better for the impulsive trips out as well. We got a deal that we paid for a tank of petrol at the time of hiring the vehicle at the airport and got to return the car empty at the end of our week - saved worrying about keeping money for filling up.

If anyone can let me know where the market in Almancil is - that would be very helpful for next year's holiday. Our rep gave us terrible directions for everywhere - struggled to find a supermarket and drove round and round for 2.5 hours trying to find the Wednesday market!

Have a great holiday!

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

The Wednesday market is in Quarteira, not Almancil. You can either drive west on the EN125 from the centre of Almancil towards Portimao to the new large roundabout and turn left there; a long road which will eventually lead to Quarteira, or turn down by the traffic lights which never work in central Almancil and when you get to 'Tradicional' shopping bear slightly right (Estrada de Fonte Santa) and drive straight for about five minutes to the centre of Quarteira. Quarteira has a nice esplanade and walks by the sea; it doesn't join Almancil at all, but it joins up to Vilamoura at the other end.

It's just as easy to go to Loulé Market on Saturdays - it's currently by the big old church near Modelo supermarket

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Must have gone under my radar. Did I hear £600 pounds for a five door Clio for 2 weeks?

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Yes, we were we were lucky enough to have to pay that along with our friends. There are definitely better prices to be had with local companies from the airport though - book early and reap the rewards!

Re the markets - we went to the new indoor market in the centre of Loule at the top of the hill on Saturday which was almost completely veggies and fish, then discovered that the 'other' market ie the one we'd been hoping to find where the children could spend their pocket money before going home, was about 'a kilometer down the road' Perhaps it was but it felt an awful lot further through endless roadworks, dust and midday heat. There was an interesting arcade of old shops en route but to be honest we just wanted to find the market. It's particularly frustrating when the coach tours get dropped from one market to the other too! When we got there it was about to close and they were packing everything up at about 12.30pm. It was also a windy dust bowl, so you had to keep shading your eyes from grit. Several stalls had the exactly the same stock (clothes, sunnies and very cheap jewellery (that broke as soon as you got it home!). Also very hassly stall-holders - reminded me of trying to shop in SE Asia but without the humour!

Wish we hadn't bothered and not a good experience. There are so many more enjoyable things to do in the area and we saw lots of the same things in shops for the same prices even in the 'golden triangle' south of Almancil and that's saying something!

Good luck with the car hire.

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Thank you so much for the information on the markets. We will definately try both of those.

Now Christmas is over, we are all really looking forward to going back to Almancil. The market was one of the main thing the teenagers wanted to see. Although our rep was rubbish with regards to the facilities, she was extremely enthusiastic about the Wednesday market.

Thanks again - I'll print off the directions and keep them in my holiday file.

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Before you go looking for markets in Loule on a Wednesday, from memory I reckon those ones are in Quarteira which is on the coast road before Vilamoura (not very far off to the west). We haven't been but got lost so ended up driving through the area and I think the market sets up along the main road between a load of blocks of flats - there were a few stalls there when we drove through. I definitely know there were coach trips on offer to this market and it would probably be a much better bet with teenagers with money to burn!

If I had the choice, I would love to visit Loule again but not on market day with all it's crowds and coaches and stressy tourists and just enjoy the town. Parking was also a nightmare. Also, the gypsie market really isn't very big, just a square football pitch size. You can tell what a great trip we had!

(I also get the feeling that it moves around the town, so if you do go make sure you find out where it is from someone with market-type shopping bags?) Then I'd visit the bigger market in Quarteira if really pressed because I hate shopping and crowds, drop the children and go and find a coffee or better still a cool sangria!

Only a personal opinion but some more thoughts for your holiday file, probably much like the one I took out on my hols this summer!

Sarah

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Sorry Sarah

Another one under my radar. I'm gettn' old ya know!

We hired a five door hatch last year and it cost us absolutely nowhere near £600 and that included full excesses waiver and all body coverage - literally "all in". Never paid anything like that in all the years I've been going abroad.

From my experience, that price is extraordinarily expensive!

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Please share company name/contact email etc and how long in advance you reckon you need to book, for future ref.

Cheers.

Carrickfergus...
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

My wife & I lived there off & on for 3 years. If you don't take anything away from this forum take this, have lunch or dinner in Couleur France, our most favourite restaurant in the Algarve. Just delightful & exceptionally reasonably priced compaired to the likes of Vilamoura. Enjoy. Jim & Dee

Get answers to your questions about Almancil