We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how expensive is Cyprus now?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
203 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
how expensive is Cyprus now?

Hi

We was last in Cyprus in June 2006 to celebrate our engagement. We are now married and to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary we are considering going back to Cyprus in June this year. I really like the look of Napa Plaza which i can get for £500 p/person or £600 p/person halfboard. Just wondering how much realistically we would need for spending money? When we were last there we it was CYP and we brought over the equivalent of £1600 for two weeks. But we did every excursion going and eat out and drank every single night.. We will be going for 1 week this time. Any ideas how much we will need and is it better to go half board or b & b @ napa plaza? we will be going out for a meal each evening and will prob have cocktails too at places like Liquid and the Pepper Bar. No clubbing in the square tho! TBH We have been swaying between Cancun and Cyprus for the week. My husband thinks it will be extremely expensive in Cyprus and we would prob be better in Cancun where everything is inclusive however it is a long way for only 1 week from the uk and obviously the price of the holiday is much more expensive. Sorry to have rambled on a bit. Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

I dont think Cyprus is any more more expensive than the uk.prices here h

ave shot up as well.you can get some good set menus for around 10euros

the half board option is good as most hotels will give you the choice of lunch instead of dinner should you wish to eat out in the evening. take a walk in the mornings check out menus ,look for happy hours we try to time it so one happy hour finishes we go on to another.we allow 60 euro each a day for food but we never spend it all ,plus a bit over should we wish to go anywhere ,we dont do many tours now.or else have a coulple of glasses of wine on your balcony before you go out,some of the wine in the cartons are nice saving around 3 euro a bottle.Julie

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

You will certainly notice a difference since 2006 and Cyprus going over to the Euro. Prices have risen generally as well as the poor rate against the pound. You can still find good offers in restaurants. A lot have a choice of starters, main course and dessert for certain price. I don't know how expensive things are in Glasgow but I would say that some places charge London prices. I think if you choose your restaurants and bars wisely you can still have an affordable holiday in Cyprus. I noticed that certain parts of Limassol charge more than others i.e. in the areas around the five star hotels it is more expensive than the tourist area. I think from what Kath has said that she did not find it too bad on the side of the island that you intend to go to. It would be nice to return to Cyprus for your anniversary if you got engaged there and as you say it is a much shorter flight for just a week. Hope you have fun.

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

It is cheaper on the eastern side,I find larnaca the cheapest of the lot,maybe because it is not so geared up for tourists.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

We were obviously posting at exactly the same time Julie. Your post wasn't there when I started typing! I think we both basically said the same thing.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
203 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

Barkinmad - is the 60 euro per day each inclusive of alcohol or do you budget separately for that? Typically what is a reasonable amount to get by on each day, 150 euro or is that too little? The only other thing we are likely to do is visit Nissi beach and go to the waterpark so it is more or less a relaxing holiday with nice food and drinks. Also on our anniversary was thinking of a meal in either Clarabel or Sage. How much roughly would we need for that? Realistically if we do go i would be aiming to take 1100 euros - with current exchange that is £1000. Is that reasonable or not? Wish it was back in the days u could get 1.5 euro to the pound but sadly those days are long gone!

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

ok twigs no worries great minds think alike.

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

What I meant to say was ,if we go half board say breakfast -dinner /or breakfast-lunch if we go out and eat I find we cant eat alot,you know the way the cypriots pile your plate up so lunch is usually a snack somewhere,lets say that just as a round figure it amounts to 40euro.we still have 80 maybe more to go out at night,what we dont spend one day gets left in the safe and so on if we feel like splashing out towards the end of the holiday we do,not sure how much the water park is,not been to one since it was cy pounds years ago.when you are out drink the local brand spirits or beer.you get stung for brand names like smirmoff .I think you should be fine on.150 euro a day.

The only thing I cannot comment on is the price of your aniversary meal,as twigs says it depends where you go.to eat,I do not know how much yr.drinks would cost in a restraunt as it depends what the owner is chargeing,I Think cancun is a bit far just for one week.if Cyprus is your special place go and enjoy it you will be fine have a lovely day on your aniversary.Julie

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

Hi there

I live in Cyprus but I was in cancun for my holiays in december and I don't find a great deal of difference in price if you look for something decent.

As I mentioned in a previous post, breakfast is around $5-10, lunch the same and dinner €10-20 depending on where you go and what you have. we found this similar to what we were paying in Canun/playa del carmen. Obviously there are cheaper places and more expensive places.

I love liquid bar as it isn't full of tourists. cocktails start at €3 and champagne cocktails are only €5 so its not over priced compared to the bars which are aiming to attract the tourists.

Napa plaza is a great hotel, but as a travel agent myself I know the price of a decent hotel in Cancun can be more than a decent hotel in Cyprus. Saying that though i still prefer Cyprus as I find cancun very americanised and prices are aimed at the american tourists.

Cyprus I find can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. there are cheap places to eat/drink/shop and more expensive places. Excursions are cheaper in Cyprus than Mexico but agian it depends what you want to do. I wouldn't live in mexico but I love living in Cyprus.

Don'y know if thats much help to you, but feel free to message me if you need any more info

Terri.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

I honestly did not find it overly expensive last October. We budgeted on 120 euros per day eating out at lunchtime and evening and brought money home with us. Generally did our own breakfast apart from a couple of days. The most expensive meal we had (and this was for our silver wedding anniversary/birthday at perhaps the best restaurant in Pernera) was just over 100 euros for the two of us but bear in mind we did have a bottle of champagne and a bottle of good wine with the three course a la carte meal. The rest of the time averaged out approximately 32 euros for the two of us each evening including a drink before the meal although we didn't have wine with the meal. (I find wine in a hot country dehydrates you so I stick with the brandy sours) One thing we didn't do however was spent as much in the local bars - tended to have a few drinks in the apartment before we went out but we didn't scrimp on anything. We also saved a small fortune by not paying for sunbeds on the beach every day. We found a hotel which was more than happy to let you use their sunbeds provided you reciprocated by buying the odd drink.

Cancun or Cyprus - Cyprus every time! I think its too far to go to Mexico for one week. The last time I went to the Caribbean it took me four days to get over the flight.

ayrshire scotland
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how expensive is Cyprus now?

Hi

You wont go wrong with your hotel choice we stayed there in 2007 and are going back 2010.

Went over last year to protaras for a week b&b all in we spent approx £700. Ate out every night and a few drinks afterwards. Never did any excursions just had a lazy week.

If you base the prices on whatever it is at home you wont be far away

Billy

Get answers to your questions about Ayia Napa
Recent Conversations