We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how is the tourist season going?

India
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
how is the tourist season going?

Just wondering how tourism is this year, or is it too early to say yet?

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how is the tourist season going?

I read a report in the Cyprus Mail last week that tourisum was up by 14.8% in March, compared to the same time last year.Julie

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how is the tourist season going?

Yeah but it could be mainly due to the early easter. I think April will be a disaster because of the volcano ash issue...

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how is the tourist season going?

I read a report which said tourists coming into Paphos airport was down by 10%. Who knows the truth of the situation. It is also quite early to tell. A Cypriot friend tells me that the Christmas trade was well down. She actually had figures for each hotel. Still more space for all of us!

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how is the tourist season going?

its definitely getting busier by the day. during the daytimes there's quite a lot of people about and early evening. wouldn't really say it was any quieter or busier than previous aprils i have seen. A lot of bar owners i have spoken to are expecting a busier summer than last year but we'll have to wait and see.

most bars are open now with just a handful still closed. weeknights are pretty quiet out though as theres a lot more local people out at the weekends. There's a few clubs open but not all yet.

pretty much all shops and restaurants are also now open.

luckily most arrivals from the uk are may to october so there hasn't been too much effect from the lack of flights from the uk yet, although that will change and some scandinavian areas have had closed airspace as well so unless the wind changes soon it will start to seem quieter than normal.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how is the tourist season going?

Ahhhh. To be stuck in Ayia Napa!

Leeds
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how is the tourist season going?

Awwww what a shame, I bet it's nice and warm too.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how is the tourist season going?

I was in downtown kato paphos last Sunday evening and I have never seen it that bad, around 7:30 - 8:30 pm. Now normally it is quiet because it is a change over with flying out but since No planes were flying it was like a ghost town. Friends who work in various hotels say the figures are down and I don't think the CTO would want to confirm what we already knew and also trying to put on a brave face

Kev

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how is the tourist season going?

It was still fairly busy out in Napa last saturday night but there are a lot of workers around looking for work at the start of the season so I think that has bumped it up a little.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how is the tourist season going?

You'll also find the Cypriots out during the weekends

Kev

10. Re: how is the tourist season going?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Ayia Napa