We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport delays due to strike action.

Vale of Glamorgan
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Airport delays due to strike action.

Does anyone know what is happening regarding the threat of action from the Greek Air Traffic controllers? I have noticed that there have been several major delays in air traffic into and out of Larnaca Airport. I feel really sorry for anyone caught up in this action and as I am planning to go with the wife in 2 weeks I am hoping (a bit selfish I know) it will be sorted by then.

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport delays due to strike action.

I think any delays recently have been caused by the French Air traffic control strikes. All depends on what airspace the plane flies through on its route.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport delays due to strike action.

A friend who works at Paphos airport said last night that it is Greek Air Traffic controllers who have gone on strike and only 2 planes headed to the UK yesterday

Kev

cork
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport delays due to strike action.

huge delays in larnaca airport, loads of flights delayed hours.. heres my story for the purpose of times i will say everthing based on cypriot time.. Just back from aiya napa today 26-07-10. flew with falcon travel (thompson airlines) from larnaca to dublin ireland on flight TOM 1739. our flight was meant to be at 21:55 cypriot time. we arrived at airport at 7 o clock having been told by our rep that there was a delay of 1 hour.. but it was nothing major. then when we checked in our bags ten mins later, and we were told by rep at desk that there was a delay of 2 1/2hours. bit annoyed but thought better than nothing.. walked in through customs and 5 mins later looked at flight board and saw our flight was delayed from 21:55 on 25-07-2010 to 02:55 o 26-07-10. son in the space of about 1/2 hr our flight went from being 1hour late to 5 hrs.. no rep our any1 else for that matter approached us..complete lack of information.. at 00:05 cypriot time we suddenly heard our flight was boarding, so we all boarded by about 1am but at 4am we were still on the runway never moving.. no information given other than there were 10 mins slots to depart and we were queing for them.. thompson airlines were rude and unsympathetic. not even a complimentary snack or drink provided, until I kicked up stink about it and then they gave us miserly glass of water but charged us for bottled water and snacks. eventually the plane took off at 4am cypriot time 6 hours later than scheduled. 21/2 or 3 hours into flight we were told that the plane was being diverted to hannover germany for a few hours due to some CAA regulation that was never explained to us. By this stage the people on the plane was raging and exhausted and fed up and the countless lies we were being told. we eventually arrived in hannover germany at around 7:30/ 8am cypriot time. we were provided with a meal vouvher worth €10 by thompson. however we we confined to a small hanger with only one stall available to buy food. it took 1hour to que and get food!! we were waiting in airport for about 2 1/2hours still no clue wat was happening. then at about 10 30am we were told that the flight was boarding in an hour. so at 11 30 am we flew home to dublin and arrived in dublin at around 1:15pm cypriot time, 11 am irish time. best of luck to anyone coming home our considering going to aiya napa because that was like the journey ffrom hell. almost 16 hours of travelling to get home and being treated like crap by thompson airlines along the way.. ruined was a brilliant holiday

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport delays due to strike action.

Wow that is a tedious journey!

Vale of Glamorgan
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport delays due to strike action.

Thank you all for your replies. I have noticed from Cardiff Wales Airport that it was due to Greek air traffic conollers strike. The thomson flight into Cardiff was over 11.5 hours late in landing, heaven knows when it took off. I had a good look at the Larnaca Airport departures site and it looks as if Thomson had many more longer delays than any of the other holiday airlines. Lets hope that Thomson look into this and get their act together. I know it is not their fault about the strike, but if Thomas Cook can get away with only a 1.5hr delay then why can't they. Thomson and TUI are supposed to be big guns in the industry, they should set an example by supporting their customers as much as possible. Or am I just dreaming of an ideal world but in reality all they care about is £££££'s.

Hessle, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport delays due to strike action.

It's effecting flights going in as well. The Saturday afternoon flight from Humberside to Larnaca didn't take off until 6.00 pm Monday night! That's a Thomas Cook flight using Eurocypria.

7. Re: Airport delays due to strike action.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 06:16