We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

Hi

Heading to napa next week, any tips on where the best places to go are for food or drink? I like a few cocktails!

Ive also heard about these cards that you put money on, im travelling with some friends, are these cards any good (not sure what theyre called??) or would i be better off taking my money in cash?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated, thanks :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

You might be too late to apply for a pre-paid card, which is what your talking about. Just be very aware that they all charge various costs to load it & withdraw etc. If you want to compare them look on this website

www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaidcards/

If you end up taking cash then there's plenty of exchange places, the "Hut" in the centre usually give the best rates.........anyone will point it out for you if you ask. Make sure you get a safety deposit box at your accom too if your taking cash :)

With regards to restaurants, have a look at the left of this page and check all the restaurant reviews out which will give you lots of ideas on places to eat and they're ranked based on the reviews from other TA posters.

Best cocktails in my opinion are in Liquid Bar which is just off the main avenue in central Napa, near the museum. Or Pepper Bar which is attached to the Napa Plaza hotel on the same main Makarious Avenue

Hope that helps

Hampshire
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

thomsons do a travel card which you can load up before you go, then draw out in the cash machines when you get there, worked fine for me.

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

It's called a pre-paid travel card..........there are 100s of companies who do them, some far, far better than others

Northampton
Level Contributor
88 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

I've got a Fairfx card that we used last year in France, really good, felt much safer not taking a load of cash with us.

Think you can walk in and get one from Tesco's at their Bureau - I applied for mine based on moneysavingexpert.com

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

I wouldn't bother with them, my partner makes us but I've put my foot down as the Thomas Cook one we normally get charges 2 euro everytime we take money out and 2 euro whenever we pay for something on the card! Just take cash but don't take it all out at once with you.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

no withdrawal charges on the cash passport from tesco

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

Travel Card.

My partner had one, I didn't. Either or is fine. You can put what you want on card, so if you have a strict budget then this would be good so you will be stringent.

I preferred cash as I could see where my money was going. My partner went through his bank in NZ and it was pretty good, but don't know what other places timeframe would be.

8. Re: Cash or card....? Ideas please which is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Ayia Napa
Recent Conversations