We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Troodos Mountains

Walton-On-Thames...
Level Contributor
188 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Troodos Mountains

Hi,

Coming back to Napa again this Wednesday, (cant wait!!), but want to do a few different things this time.

My gf wants to go to the Troodos mountains, (as shes never been).

I went before, back in 2000, but we all got lost!!

I dont really want to risk this again but could obviously go better prepared this time.

I have looked at the Thomson excursions and it's £59.50 per person.

For this price we could hire a car for 3 days and do some other stuff with it.

On the plus side, if we go with the proper 4x4 adventure excursion, we wont get lost for starters lol, and will get to do all the extras like meet the locals, try their cuisine etc but also get to go to a waterfall, (which would be great!).

I have no idea how id find the waterfall on my own!!!

Has anyone driven to/through the mountains on their own and is there a way not to get lost and to find the waterfall easily?

Also, can you swim in it?

Many thanks.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Troodos Mountains

The 4x4 Safari has many people who say it is great and it will go to some places ordinary tours can not get lost. If your map reading is poor then an organised tour seems the best answer.

If you do want to hire a car then I am sure there will be advice on what to do for 3 days if you let us know what your interests would be.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Troodos Mountains

You just beat me to posting, Fred! :) Was about to say FredCyprus will be able to help!

Caledonian Falls is the only waterfall I can think of - but, no, there's not enough water to swim there.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Troodos Mountains

There are several near Platres, Caledonia (been to) , Chantara (not seen yet), Millomeri (which I have been to) and there is one advertised in Trimiklini linked to a tourist stop also not seen.

Walton-On-Thames...
Level Contributor
188 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Troodos Mountains

Thanks guys.

I think we're gonna just hire a car and hope for the best :)

Do you do car hire then Fred?

We normally go around at least half a dozen different places and see which one gives us the best deal when were there.

I think were gonna try and go and do some shopping when were there.

In another thread someone suggested Nicosia and "going across to the dark side" as they do "designer gear".

So i guess, (if we can find these places), thats 2 days taken up with the car.

We also want to do the BOB underwater scooters which i believe are in Protaras so that'll be the 3rd day :)

Edited: 28 August 2011, 17:47
Blfast
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Troodos Mountains

The bus from Agia Napa to Protaras is only €2.00 for a day ticket so u would be better going elsewhere in the car and use the bus to go to Protaras

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Troodos Mountains

I have not hired a car here since 2008 so I will not give advice on that.

Reasonable maps are available from the Cyprus Tourist Office of the whole of Cyprus and street maps of the 4 main cities.

I suggest you head into Nicosia (signposted Lefkosia) and park either within the walls or close to them, I hesitate to give guidance as with main areas one way streets etc make it difficult to describe but there are signs. You go to Ledra Street and you can cross to North Nicosia. Passports needed and you will have to obtain a free visa which is completed and stamped on the way in and make sure it is stamped on the way out.

For Troodos either go to Nicosia and then on the A9 / B9 which takes you to Troodos Square or Limassol and the B8 to Troodos Square and return the opposite way..

For a third day I suggest go to Limassol (signed Lemesos) and or on to Pafos so make good use of the car as above says Protaras is easy by bus

7. Re: Troodos Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Ayia Napa
Recent Conversations