We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German Worries

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
German Worries

Having read the first 2 reviews on the Atlantica Sungarden I would have to say I have been having very mixed views on whether or not we have made the right choice for our holiday on the 23rd of July.

Everything about the hotel sounds fantastic.......apart from the fact everything appears to be led for the German visitors. We experienced a similar situation on our holiday last year and I have to admit that, no matter how hard we tried to enjoy ourselves, our holiday was spoilt by the fact that we could not get a sunbed after 5 in the morning, we could not interact with any of the guests and we could not participate or enjoy any of the 'entertainment'.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been to the hotel recently for some advice on whether or not we should arrange a different hotel?

Cheers, Karen

London, United...
Level Contributor
690 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: German Worries

Should of picked Adams beach : )

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: German Worries

Have you heard any reports on the Atlantica Sungarden? It has only recently opened that is why we are finding it difficult to decide what we should do because their are only a couple of reviews yet both mention the German bias in entertainment etc.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: German Worries

Have you heard any reports on the Atlantica Sungarden? It has only recently opened that is why we are finding it difficult to decide what we should do because their are only a couple of reviews yet both mention the German bias in entertainment etc.

Mile High
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: German Worries

I believe that Posh and Becks are having a similar problem at the mo!

England
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: German Worries

Hi Karen.

I found a discussion forum on this hotel running on Holiday Truth's web site - sounds like other people have the same concerns as you. Check it out at:

www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=69632

Can you cancel and rebook elsewhere? Are you travelling with Thomson or independently?

The thing I picked up on from others' comments was the suggestion that English kids couldn't participate in the kids' club - if true, then this is unacceptable for anyone who has booked a package with Thomson expecting to be able to use this facility.

Good luck with your decision.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: German Worries

Hi Micra1 : we did book the hotel through Thompsons who we have contacted with these concerns. They haven't exactly been forthcoming with info which is also worrying. They have pretty much washed their hands of the situation and told us to contact the Atlantica management. For such a huge company not to know what the situation with regards to reps/hotel entertainment/kidsclub etc in such a large hotel is pretty hard to believe.

England
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: German Worries

Hi again, Karen,

That's dreadful! It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence about Thomson's level of service! We're travelling with them to Italy this summer, so I hope it's not a taste of things to come for us too.

If Thomson can't give a reasonable guarantee that your needs will be met, then I would request either a refund or a 'no cost' transfer to another hotel of your choice. Telling customers who have paid for a package holiday to contact the hotel themselves, (and at their own expense), is just unacceptable IMO.

If you decide to go down the transfer route, go on Thomson's web site, (and their discount sister company, Portland), and check out the availability of alternative accomodation in Cyprus for your dates. That way, if they tell you nothing is available, you can politely point out that that is not the case.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: German Worries

Hi Micra1

Thanks for the comments. To be honest we have travelled with Thompsons in the past and we have nothing but good things to say. However this is the first time we have asked any questions of them and their attitude is pretty poor.

The part which has really annoyed us is we have only asked to get some information and immediately they have gone on the defensive, stressing that we will not be able to get a refund or be entitled to a no cost transfer should we decide this even though we have never asked about the possibility of doing this!!

I think it is also unbelievable that we be asked to call the hotel directly to find out if there will be any british reps there and if not request ourselves that they should be employing some!!

If the hotel did not look so awesome we would already have cancelled this.

England
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: German Worries

Hi Karen.

Yes, we've travelled with Thomsons two or three times before and had good experiences, which makes their attitude now even odder.

From what I read on the holiday truths forum, other people have also been complaining and Thomson, rather than addressing the issues have, rather bizarrely, decided to go on the defensive.

What are you going to do? I suppose it depends on how far you are willing to pursue the matter of their poor customer service and their negative attitude in advance of your holiday. It may be that the hotel will be fine, but Thomsons must surely realise that you'll complain immediately on arrival, if services they promised to you aren't available.

I once threatened to report one travel company to ABTA, after they had reneged on a promise of an accomodation upgrade, and their attitude changed immediately. Whether or not the ABTA code of conduct and complaints procedure would be able to help you in this instance, I don't know. You can find details at:

http://www.abta.com/pdf/currentcode.pdf

and:

http://www.abta.com/codeguide.shtml

Good luck. Let me know what happens - I hope it works out ok.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: German Worries

Thanks for the advice. I don't think we will go down the route of complaining to ABTA, but the contact details could come in handy just in case!

I will post the response of the Atlantica manger and any further information from Thompsons (if we receive any that is!!)

Cheers. Karen

Get answers to your questions about Ayia Napa
Recent Conversations