We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Arenal - The Early Days

Which El Arenal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
El Arenal - The Early Days

Can anyone remember back to the early days of tourism when Arenal became popular ? I stayed with my parents at the Hotel Mallorca for the first time in 1967. We had booked for the Hotel Saga but had a last minute change due to overbooking I think. We travelled with a company called Airways who flew from the North East. It took well over three hours to fly to Palma.We thought Majorca was beautiful.When we saw the Hotel Mallorca I thought it was fantastic, a lovely white building set among the pine trees.I remember the exchange rate was 167 pts for £1. A Kas orange or Coca Cola was 7 pts a San Miguel or apricot brandy 10pts and a wash and set at the hairdressers 35 pts. We watched two levels ot the Hotel Bahamas built while we were there ,amazed at how it was constructed.We stayed again at the Mallorca in '68 and in '69 at the Hotel Gracia.Its main attraction was being two minutes from the beach.It was a very friendly small hotel and had a place called The Pub opposite where they played all the great pop songs of the 60's.I remember you could get lovely coffee and toast in the San Diego cafe on the corner.Also a wine tasting shop down a stair called Brenda's.They had sherry and liquers on tap to try before you buy ! Also remember wonderful leather shops selling beautiful bags.Bought five home from my first holiday in Majorca. (and first year working) Other hotels we stayed in were the Maria Isabel Hispania and Sol Pinos.Arenal dissapeared from the brochures and by then we were looking for new places but i will always have a spot in my heart for my first spanish resort.Staying at Palma Nova a few years ago with my husband Steve he suggested a day out at Arenal as he had never been and knew I would love to see it again.We arrived in style by taxi but my memories had all disapeared. The lovely Hotel Mallorca looking run down,the good shops all gone replaced by tourist tat.The old Yacht Club had been replaced.Wonderful pavements but the character had gone.Sometimes its best not to go back.Even worse was to come my favourite hotel was on Holidays from Hell the TV Programme a couple of years ago.Can anyone else remember when Arenal was the place to go?

427 replies to this topic
Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

I posted back in July last year, however the hotel I stayed in was called the Flamingo in 1967, (senior moment) stayed in the Caribbean in 1968. Someone told me that Flamingo is still there.

Still remember it as my best holiday of all time and still have very fond memories although I haven't been back to Mallorca since :-(

London, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

I went on my first holiday to Arenal in 1982 then went and worked there in 84 - 86 when there were loads of British bars. Great memories, I remember my last year working there more German tourists had started coming then. I made a friend with a girl that worked in another bar and we have remained friends ever since. We are 49 and 50 now and are going for a weekend break to Can Pastilla in a couple of weeks, shall be fun to take a trip down memory lane. We used to go to Chaplins night club after work each night and L' arana for late night / early morning snacks... oh to be 21 again!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,215 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

Think I might just still have concessions for that one.

Enjoy and reminisce.

hornchurch/santa...
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

Coatsey, I was out there in 1982 (previously posted), was a wicked time with my mum and dad I was 11! Espana '82 world cup, loads of good memeories.

went back again in 88 for the first lads holiday and about ten years ago bought a place in Santa Ponsa!

Cool that you worked out there, I never got the chance but spend loads of time out there. Not sure if you know the guy but a chap called Louis O'brien has written a book about his time in Mallorca in the club/bar scene from 67 to 91 called Hasta la Flip Flops, enjoyable read!!!

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
848 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

More recent memories for me too. We stayed at the Vera Cruz hotel in 1990, a large group of us going out for my husband's 40th birthday. The hotel staff went on strike whilst we were there, and we served ourselves in the restaurant from buffet food laid out by the managers who weren't striking, cleared our own tables away afterwards, and got our own fresh bedding and towels from the laundry!! Actually quite enjoyed it as prior to that we could only choose from a set menu, either A or B, and of course, I always fancied the main meal of A and the dessert of B, which was a total no-no!

Went back again in 94, and stayed SC in some apartments just off the beach. Always remember the little bodega along the front where you went down steps to access, can recall going in just after breakfast and somehow coming out just before lunch, having sampled every liqueur they had to offer, several times! Good days!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

Stayed in El Arenal in 1982 with mum and dad my first holiday outside the UK had a great time not sure where we stayed but remember Chaplins club.Visited again for a long weekend last year and how much has it changed now only 2 english bars in the whole resort and didnt feel safe walking about at night. Wont be visiting again but great memories

Leeds UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

I remember staying at the Hotel Playa de Palma when it was the only hotel on the stretch between C'an Pastilla and El Arenal.

It's a bit different these days!!

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

I stayed at the Hotel Kontiki in 1971, right on the front between C'an Pastilla and Arenal. It was a Warners Holidays hotel. From then on I was hooked and returned the following 4 or 5 years - happy days! I don't think I'd like to go back now though, my tastes have hopefully matured:-)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

Yes I spent 17 years of my childhood life on holiday in arenal very happy times joes bar underground pink panther we met some great people

Newcastle upon...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: El Arenal - The Early Days

just come across this post and it brings back memories me and three other mates went here in 1980 and had the time of our lives we stayed in the hotel mexico for two weeks i now tell my wife and daughter and grandson that it was like a multi-story car park with wndows fitted to it,the pubs i remember were the gay gordon,rovers return,pink panther ,underground,hole in the wall,flying haggis,chaplins,high chaperal,iron niteclub and there were more oh happy days

Reply to: El Arenal - The Early Days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Arenal