We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rummy Port

Pensacola, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Rummy Port

Some years ago on my venture to Australia, my friends from Sidney took me to Mudgee Valley and in one winery I discovered a very unique wine called "Rummy Port". I have been searching the Internet for that winery called "Craigmoor" to no avail. I expect it may have changed names. Can anyone help me? It was located afew miles from the Seldon Seen and Lawson Hill Wineries.

I have told many of my friends about that wine and they are anxiously waiting fo me to order some!

My email address is tropicalmotion@connectmailsvc.com

Thank you all from sunny Pensacola Florida,

John

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rummy Port

It's been years since I was cruising the Mudgee wineries, and I just loved Peter Van Gent and his wines....however....

Your friends were from Sydney. Craigmoor wines were taken over by Poets Corner. See below. From memory, rummy port is aged in used rum casks, and this imparts a particular flavour. You may find the style in other brands

Poet's Corner Wines, Australia established 1989

Winemaker(s): James Manners

Other Details: Poet's Corner was named in honour of the highly acclaimed Australian poet, Henry Lawson, who grew up in the Mudgee Gulgong area.

Launched in 1989 out of the popular Montrose brand, Poet's Corner has become a part of Australian winemaking history, putting Mudgee on the map producing innovative wines which reflect Australia's personality.

The first release by Poet's Corner in 1989 was met with much excitement receiving many awards and this trend has continued ever since. With winemaker James Manners, Poet's Corner continues to offer consumers quality wine at a reasonable price.

The cellar door is located in the oldest winery in Mudgee, formerly called Craigmoor, which was established in 1858. A great way to spend the day, you can visit the historic museum full of winemaking tools and memorabilia dating back to early 19th century, and have a delicious meal in the Craigmoor Restaurant, which serves a variety of dishes to complement our wines.

Appellation(s) / Region(s): Mudgee

I'll leave it to you to Google it and try to find a local merchant or a national importer into the USA, if one exists. Cheerz Wab.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rummy Port

I was brought up in Mudgee but have lived in the UK for about 35 years. Every time I returned or had a visitor from Mudgee come to the UK we'd make sure we stocked up on Rummy Port. When I was in Mudgee a few years ago I tried to buy some but I was told it was no longer available! I have to say that I haven't researched thoroughly, but assumed that was so. A great shame as we really used to enjoy it, but knew the next morning if we'd overstepped the mark!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rummy Port

I know that your post is quite old so you may already have the information that you need. I'm a Mudgee local, so hopefully can be of some assistance. Craigmoor Winery is now owned by Oatley wines. They are in the process of relaunching the "Craigmoor" brand and local word is that they will again be making Rummy Port! Oatley's website is www.oatleywines.com.au.

Cheers Jo

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rummy Port

Kewl thanks Jo, we are overdue for a trip to Mudgee so will ensure that this is on the "To do" list :-) Thanks again for the update, Cheerz Wab

Walhalla, SC
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Rummy Port

I'll tell you what, I just finished a bottle of Craigmore "Rummy Port" just last night ! I'm am sorry to hear that they have turned over names and it might not be available anymore......I've look on the internet several times in the past and could never find any details on them. Might have been a collectors item I drank....It was excellent as usual !!!

Don

Walhalla, SC

USA

6. Re: Rummy Port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Mudgee
More Mudgee Topics