We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ajaccio to???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Ajaccio to???

We will be returning to Ajaccio port after a week of sailing around south Corsica..we then have 4-5 days before heading back to possibly either Nice or Marseille probably by ferry, our dilemma is...where to go Husband is keen on a night in Corte then onto Bastia, however, Calvi/ ile Rousse area looks great to me, we will have been swimming for the previous week so beaches are necessary but not our main attraction...cafes , local markets, people watching and train/bus station are on my list...so advice please, many thanks

9 replies to this topic
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ajaccio to???

Are you relying on public transport or are you hiring a car? Let us know and then we can make suggestions.

I presume you are aware that public transport is very sparse on Corsica and not really geared to tourism. Many parts of the island can really only be reached if you have a car. Not quite sure why you want to go to Bastia. It's not an unpleasant town but there are so many places to visit which are more enjoyable.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ajaccio to???

Thanks aardvark10, we are definitely unable to hire a car and have read that public transport is limited, the "teeth rattler' train we have read about and buses are our options, take on board what you say about Bastia, how about Calvi/Ile rousse there seems to be public transport from Ajaccio to this area?? your thoughts??

Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ajaccio to???

Hi,

I propose to take the train to any of the towns Ile Rousse, Algajola or Calvi and to spend 3-4 days there. You will be able to explore the coastline between Calvi and Ile Rousse by means of the tramway which runs 6-8 times per day between these towns in the high season.

I would suggest that you make one stop with the train and spend the night in Corte, which is really worth a visit.

You can return by ferry from Calvi or Ile Rousse to Nice. The total trainride from Ajaccio to Calvi takes ca. 4½ hours. It is really spectacular. The train will be crowded if you go in the high season and you cannot book seats in advance.

Have a great vacation!

Kind regards

Trine (www.algajola.dk)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ajaccio to???

As you are relying on public transport I would support the suggestions of Trine.

Timetables are available on www.corsicabus.org

The train is great fun and actually not that uncomfortable. Try ang get a seat a the front - then you might be able to see the herds of animals on the line at the same time as the driver!

Take some refreshments with you and you may have time to purchase them at Ponte Leccia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ajaccio to???

Thanks for the info.aardvark10..however am having trouble reading the train timetable.on website www.corsicabus.org, .ideally we would like to leave AJACCIO Sat morning get off in Corte, stay the night and most of that day then get back on train Sunday afternoon heading to either calvi or Ile rousse, this is all mid- June...help please

Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ajaccio to???

Red columns are all days except Sundays and public holidays. Green columns are Sundays and public holidays.

Saturday: Departure from Ajaccio 6:09. Arrival in Corte 8:00.

Sunday: Departure from Corte 11:57. Arrival in Calvi 14:27. You ned to change train in Ponte Leccia which is easy because there will not be any other trains.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Trine (www.algajola.dk)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ajaccio to???

thanks still working on it...( abit slow lately!!) just wondered is there a ferry/boat from Ajaccio to Calvi instead of the train, if so how long and cost please, this would be about say Sat. 22nd June appreciate all your help

Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ajaccio to???

Colombo Lines has day trip from Calvi to Ajaccio and back. See here: www.colombo-line.com/calvi-ajaccio.htm.

I do however not know if they would/are allowed to sell one-way tickets. You could try to contact them to find out in advance.

Kind regards

Trine (www.algajola.dk)

9. Re: Ajaccio to???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 February 2013, 03:40

Reply to: Ajaccio to???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Haute-Corse