We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip again on 20 April

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip again on 20 April

It's that time again, April. My birthday is on a Sunday, but that is not a good time to visit France, so going the day before. Not sure where I'm heading too yet, but probably head up to Dunkirk way this time, no doubt a visit to a Carrefour is going to feature, as I always enjoy walking around them.

Thinking of heading moreso towards the border, but not sure yet.

I apologise if anyone is sick of me and these threads ;)

Edited: 27 March 2013, 21:28
Essex
Level Contributor
27,458 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

Dunkerque itself is interesting, go there??

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

I like Dunkirk, last time I was there I visited the Port Museum :)

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

If it's a special day then, and you're heading in that direction, why not treat yourself and pop over the border to Ypres? It's a nice easy drive from Dunkerque. The huge town square is really spectacular and amazing to think everything you see was meticulously reconstructed after WW1. The Menin Gate memorial is really moving, too.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

I did think about going to Belgium but didn't want to ask in the Belgium forums as uncharted territory for me :) I will look into it as it does sound a good idea.

I had a quick visit to Veurne last time I was there. :)

Edited: 30 March 2013, 19:52
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

If yo ever hear the early morning shipping forcast, the original Sangette Light Vessel (beore it went automativ) is among the ships moored in Dunkerque.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

Not sure if you've already been to the Blockhaus at Eperlecques. It's on my list of the '10 most jaw-dropping sights in France' that I've been to. It's a scary place, which was much bigger and more menacing when I got there than it seemed from the website pictures.

Definitely worth seeing IMO, but quite haunting so maybe combine with somewhere more cheerful if you can.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

I read the shipping forecast if I have a ferry to catch to get a rough idea what sort of crossing I'm going to get as never heard it I don't think, but I know the ship you mean as I've seen it, but didn't realise what it was used for, live and learn :) It's red isn't it? Not far from the Port Museum? x

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

I didn't see your reply to me as it seems we where posting at a similar time, but I have wanted to see the Blockhaus as yet to visit :) Thank you for the reminder I had forgotten about it, not forgotten as such, just slipped my mind. x

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

Seems I may get sunshine when I go over that makes a nice change :) x

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
664 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip again on 20 April

If you like going around the supermarket, it is better buy wines and food in the French soil. Cheaper and better than Belgium!

Get answers to your questions about Pas-de-Calais