We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Topic
Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

Hi!

I am hoping someone could critique my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre. We will be there in late September.

There will be 7 of us in two cars. According to ViaMichelin it would be cheaper to drive (with hopefully free parking in La Spezia ) than taking the train since there are so many of us.

We will be traveling lightly with small backpacks.

We will be staying in Lucca for 2 weeks and unfortunately our schedule only allows for 2 days/1 night. So would like to see as much as possible without feeling like we did too much.

On Day 2, I'd like to take the boats to get from place to place. Is there some sort of daily boat pass that would accomplish this?

Also, is there overnight free parking in La Spezia?

Day 1

Between 9 - 10 AM Arrive in La Spezia - park car in free lot

Buy Cinque Terre Card - incls train service between 5 towns and entrance to trail

Train to Monterosso

Hike or train between towns /walk around Monterosso - Vernanza - Cornigilia

lunch in Corniglia

decide to do other towns or leave CT and

take train to Santa Margherita Liguria

Check in hotel (aready booked)

Walk around SML

Dinner

Day 2

Breakfast at hotel /Check out

take boat Portofino from San Margherita

boat from Portofino to San Fruttusco

boat from San Fruttusco to Camogli

Lunch in Camogli

Train/Boat to Rapallo

Go to Rapallo walk around and funicular ride up the hill to Montallegro

Boat or Train to Portovenere, depending on what time..dinner in Portevenere

Train to Laspezia and home

Any quidance would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,202 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

There is a free parking area at the Palasport on the Lucca side of la Spezia traffico.spezianet.it/infomobilita/parcheggi with a bus atcesercizio.it/images/…Ppalaspezia.pdf into the centre. I assume overnight parking is permitted, but I've never been there so don't know for sure.

On your second day, you are going to have to be very careful about ferry times. It's possible, but ferries are not very frequent and the first ferry from Santa Margherita is not until 10.00 in September except on Sundays. For a more relaxed day, you might consider lunch in San Fruttuoso rather than Camogli. See www.traghettiportofino.it/index4242.html… and www.golfoparadiso.it/php/lineablu.php…

Edited: 14 February 2014, 23:17
chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

Thank you perilizia. I will remove Corniglia from the list. Depending on the time, will have lunch at San Fruttuoso or Rappallo.

Thanks again!

chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

Sorry one more question...is there some sort of boat/ferry pass that one can get for a day?

United States
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

The 2013 fares for the ferry service for day two are at: www.traghettiportofino.it/index858f.html…

They may change for 2014.

TAB

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,202 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

And for the fares on the Golfo Paradiso boats, click Fares at the top right of their website. As this is an entirely different ferry consortium to the Portofino one, tickets are not interchangeable between the two lines and there is no common pass.

Day passes are available for the boats in the Cinque Terre, but it doesn't look if you're going to use those.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 16:34
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

II think there might be problems regarding getting a ferry from Rappollo direct to Portovenere in the afternoon of your second day. When I was in Sestri Levante some years ago in June there was a single service on certain days only to the CT villages and Portovenere. The alternative would be train to Monterosso and ferry to Portovenere. There is no train service from Portovenere to La Spezia it is served by a local bus route.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 20:12
La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

I think Nick is correct you would need to take the train to Monterosso from Rapallo . Then the ferry from Monterosso to Portovenere. To get back to La Spezia you have either the bus, the regular ferry or you could also take a smaller motor boat which usually charge about 10 euro per head depending on numbers

chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

Thank you all for the replies. I will definitely research trains/ferries/buses options as the date nears. Appreciate the advice.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,202 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

Certainly correct. In your time frame, you'll need a train from Camogli to Rapallo, and then another train onwards to Monterosso in the Cinque Terre if you want to get to Portovere. Or even straight to la Spezia if you decide you've done enough already!

Last year's summer times for the main Monterosso-Portovenere-la Spezia boats are here https:/…

Edited: 16 February 2014, 14:24
10. Re: Please review my 2 day/1 night stay in Liguria/Cinque Terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:27