We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert camping in December - January advisable?

canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Desert camping in December - January advisable?

Is it too cold at night in late Dec - early Jan to attempt the desert camping? Are there any good camps close to Marrakech?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Desert camping in December - January advisable?

My warning about flooding isn't for the dunes themselves, but for the roads to, from and in the arid areas of Morocco. My last experience of getting trapped by flooded roads in these areas was in 2010 or 2011 (somewhere around Rissini), and some other examples were in the Dades Gorge on an earlier trip where we were trapped for 3 days and had to help the locals to hand dig the river bed out so we could drive the car out (then we still had to cross a 3 foot deep raging river!). We were also trapped in an area near Figuig due to flooding of roads.....my list goes on and on!

Some of my best photos of Morocco are of floods in these areas....totally mesmerising to see so much water when you’re supposed to be in the “desert”.

So it may be fine at the dunes, but sometimes, especial in the cooler months, rain is something to be wary of when driving about in these places. Keep an eye out for the square painted bollards on the edge of the roads which (I assume) indicate a place where a usually bone dry wadi can become a raging torrent over the road in minutes.

As someone who maps floods for a job I can categorically say that what I was looking at was a lot of water and it was definitely flooding across the roads I was trying to use....whether it impacted settlements is another matter, but it certainly impacted my holiday!

12. Re: Desert camping in December - January advisable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech-Tensift-El...
More Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region Topics