We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech Atlas Essaouira

Dublin
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech Atlas Essaouira

Hello all, I am looking to stay a couple of nights in Marrakech, then maybe a night or two in the Atlas moutains and then on to Essaouira for some surfing. I have genuinely searched the forums and my questions are, mostly for confirmation:

1: what area would people recommend for an overnight stay or a night or two in the Atlas mountains but which is convenient transport wise from Marrakech? We would love to see the beautiful mountain views and perhaps go on some walks if possible. My understanding is we could travel by bus from Marrakech to Atlas area and back?

2: Travelling to Essaouira would require us to return to Marrakech and cannot be done from the Atlas mountains from what I gather, is this correct? From what I have read we would have to get a bus from Marrakech to Essaouira, to confirm is the travel time app 4 hours?

Many thanks for your help.

Explora Morocco
Water Sports, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Bleukite Essaouira
Water Sports, Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
ION CLUB Essaouira - Ocean Vagabond
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Marrakech Surf & Snow
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Ski & Snow Tours
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,745 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech Atlas Essaouira

Hi,

My personal favourite mountain visits are to Ouirgane where you'll certainly find the views and walks you are looking for but without the tourist hordes which have spoiled Ourika valley for me. You can get buses into the mountains but depending on how far up you want to go will have to change to a grand tax at some point.

You do have to come back down to Marrakech then get through to Essaouira from there. You can take either CTM or Supratours buses and the journey will be around 3 hours including a coffee/toilet stop half way. You could otherwise hire a grand taxi to take you through in around 2 and a half hours non-stop.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 21:52
Dublin
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech Atlas Essaouira

Thank you so much! I guess a grand taxi to Ouirgane would be the best option, it this something I should organise in advance perhaps with my Ouirgane accommodation when I find it or haggle on price with a street taxi when I am there? ( I unfortunately have only basic french and no arabic) Thank you again for your detailed response

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,745 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech Atlas Essaouira

Hi,

Probably easier with your accommodation than trying to go down the haggling route!

Dublin
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech Atlas Essaouira

Thank you!

5. Re: Marrakech Atlas Essaouira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:16