We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

Anyone knows how to travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

We may want to travel by train or bus and stop by a few beautiful towns/cities on the way, we can spend 2-3 days for this journey.

We will appreciate if anyone can provide us the names in Russian as well because we need to purchase the bus/train tickets.

Many thanks in advance.

Sylvia L. ^^

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
13 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

The names ... Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Ring (choose your language). For 2-3 days I'd pick Vladimir and Suzdal (search this forum for travel details)

Mentioned in this post
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Suzdal
Suzdal
Suzdalsky District, Russia
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

This is from planning not experience. The "Golden Ring" is north and east of Moscow, while Petersburg is northwest, so travelling literally "through" the Ring between the two cities wouldn't seem to make sense. And yet, it does! Because there's a well-timed overnight train from Vladimir to Petersburg.

tripadvisor.com/…57619857

So, the itinerary I'm suggesting would go from Moscow to Vladimir to Suzdal, then to any other Golden Ring cities you wanted to visit if any (but only if you had more than 2-3 days there), then back to Vladimir, then to Petersburg.

The frequently mentioned alternative is to skip the Golden Ring and instead visit Veliky Novgorod, either between Moscow and Petersburg or as an overnight or one-day round trip out of Petersburg.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 20:45
Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Suzdal
Suzdal
australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

We spent two nights in Vladimir. We took the Sapsan to and from. We chose not to take the overnight train from Vladimir to St Petersburg so we changed stations in Moscow and then took the Sapsan during the day to St Petersburg.

If you have accommodation organised in Vladimir perhaps they can arrange for a taxi to meet you at the station. Our taxi fare cost us double to the hotel and when we were going back to the station the hotel booked it for us and settled on a price.

We also used a taxi to go to Vladimir. The first time we attempted to go to Suzdal there was a road accident and no traffic moved for an hour so we turned around and went back to Vladimir and tried again later on in the day. We eventually got there and on our way back there was another accident.

You can book the train tickets in English on the Russian railways website.

Mentioned in this post
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Suzdal
Suzdal
Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

@ Curves, thanks, indeed we have no experience as it's the first time to Russia, I meant if it's possible to take bus or train to St Petersburg from one of the cities/town along the Golden ring, well the most northwestern ones if possible. I think it's better for us to visit suzudal Vladimir and maybe come back through Sergiyev Posadand, and take the express train from Moscow to St. Petersburg.

However, I will check about Veliky Novgorod, many thanks & regards,

Syl ^^

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

@ Koala, thanks we don't want to take the overnight train either...trying to book an express train ticket online haha...so did you come back to Moscow the same way from Suzudal?

Syl ^^

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

@avidclam, yes thanks, I'm thinking to go these two places but still considering coming back to Moscow from the other way via Sergiyev Posad...is it too far?

Syl ^^

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Sergiyev Posad
Sergiyev Posad
Sergiyevo-Posadsky District, Russia
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

I'd return to Moscow from Vladimir first and then I'd visit Sergiev Posad as a day trip. Sorry almost all convenient routes here go through Moscow.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

The train stops at Vladimir, so we bought tickets Moscow to Vladimir, Vladimir to Moscow and Moscow to St Petersburg all during the day.

We stayed at the Rus Hotel in Vladimir which I can highly recommend, they couldn't do enough to help us. We did a day trip in a taxi from Vladimir to Suzdal which the hotel booked and negotiated a price. After visiting Suzdal, we were really pleased we didn't stay there.

Mentioned in this post
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Suzdal
Suzdal
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

Rostov veliky is another great option and can be done as a day trip from Moscow. Whatever you choose pick one option you don't have to do All of those towns.

Mentioned in this post
Rostov
Rostov
Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?

Thanks Koala, so you think SUzdal is not a good spot to stay overnight or the hotels there are not as equipped?

Regards,

Syl

Mentioned in this post
Suzdal
Suzdal
Reply to: Travel from Moscow to St Petersburg through Golden Ring?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Golden Ring