We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

nyc
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

We will be staying in Rincon and would like to visit the bioluminesent bay in La Parguera. Does anyone have any information about how to organize such a visit? I found one tour company called amigo, with a sunset cruise package. What about driving to La Parguera? How long does that take? And once we get there, could we charter a local boat for the trip cheaper? Thanks!

Tara

NY

Dallas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

It will take about an hour or less to get there... I haven't been in la parguera for a while, but I have heard that the bay is not as luminescent as it used to be because of pollution. From Rincón you can take a tour la Mona where you will see another bioluminescent bay that is not polluted at all, since the whole island is a reserve. You should plan your trip there for when there is NO MOON!!! Otherwise you won’t see much. There are other bioluminescent bays in Fajardo and Vieques as well. La parguera has lots of restaurants. Good luck with your trip... check gotopuertorico.com for more info.

Stanfordville, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

I've heard the same thing about the pollution corrupting the bay in LaParguera, but I did not know there is a biobay on Isla Mona. I'd check into that if I were you! I hear it's a really cool island to visit. No on lives there except supersized iguanas, turtles and hermit crabs. Oh, and don't worry...the Isla Mona Boa only comes out at night!

NY
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

A few friends and I visited the Bioluminscent Bay in November. We went through Amigo. They were great!! Id definately recommend them to anyone. They provide transportation and were very reliable. Enjoy!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

Ok I did not know there was a bio bay on Mona - I have done so much info hunting and have never come across that! Why wouldn't it be common knowledge like La Parguera, Fajardo, or Vieques? I am also staying in Rincon and will be in Fajardo on the 26th and was going to do the Vieques one but the moon is not worth it but if there is one on Mona, that would be so convenient and fun - I was pretty bothered by missing the bio-bay for the second time!

Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

I also wanted to visit the bioluminescent bay in La Parguera. We drove down from Rincon. We went early enough in the day to make sure we could find it. We arrived about 2 pm. After driving around for a while, we asked someone from the dive shop - he pointed us in the right direction. When we walked towards the pier, there was a man sitting at a booth for "Johnny Boats". He asked if we wanted to book a trip for that night. Another man then showed up at the bigger booth for the larger catamaran. He was a little more insistent that we choose his boats over the "smaller" boats. We walked out to the pier to see the boats but decided to grab a bite to eat before deciding. We asked the man from the catamaran booth where would be a good place to eat - he pointed us to the little restaurant right next to his booth. When we went in, it was a really small bar with about 4 booths. They gave us menus which were all in spanish, and everything on the lunch menu was $22.95. This was the only time during our stay in Puerto Rico that we felt like we were being taken advantage of. We left the restaurant and decided not to do the bay. We would rather visit the bay in Viesques Isle next trip. We left La Parguera and drove to Caba Rojo to the cliffs and the lighthouse - which was an absolute wonderful choice.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

The bio-bay at Boqueron is dying, and is not as nice as it used to be a few years ago. But, if you decide on going, either Johnny or Cancel have fixed prices for the tour. (Can't remember how much)

La Casita Blanca, close by is a very nice place for lunch or dinner. Midpriced. Go past Posada Porlamar and you will find it in front, just accross the road.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

While in La Parguera the boat trip cost $5 per person, in Fajardo tour operators charge a minimum of $45 for kayak or boat trip. The light pollution in La Parguera is high, henceforth, the dinoflagellates won´t be seeing as the one you see in Vieques. Try to go on moonless nights.

There are three tour operators offering transfers or guided tours from Rincón to La Parguera: Rincón Tours, AdvenTours, and Bosque Tours.

Good luck.

NY
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

I went to La Parguera in Novemeber through Amigo. They were wonderful! We snorkled all day, went out to a great dinner, the bioluminesent bay,and got to shop around the town. All for around $80 a person. They even pick you up at your hotel or house in Rincon and drive you back. I would definately recommend them!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

I visited the bay at La Parguera just 2 nights ago. The bioluminescence is very low. We went on the large boat Cristal, which costs $5 a person. You spend about 10 minutes in the bay and cannot swim there as you can in the other bays. It was disappointing compared to the other bioluminescent bays. The best restaurants in La Parguera are the Aguazul (where we ate), La Pared, and La Casita. All are within walking distance of each other and the boats.

The bays at Fajardo and Vieques are much brighter and give you an incredible experience, especially Vieques. Island Adventures provides a tour with a naturalist who tells you about the bioluminescence and lots of interesting information about the plants and animals of Vieques. You go out on a boat with electric motors and then swim in the sparking water -- amazing!

Dorado, PR
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: La Parguera: Bioluminescent Bay

Well if you go by boat, the motor oil contributes to the pollution. Y''all should know that. It's obvious. The tour guides in Fajardo specifically state that one should never take a motorboat into the bay. Plus, you get to swim if you go by kayak. Also, the motor oil kills the poor creatures.