We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

Boston...
4 posts
Save Topic
Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

We are doing the drive w my family on April 9. I'm getting nervous about the drive since I'm hearing traffic can potentially make it a 5 hour drive ., any recommendations on a town or area to stop in to eat or have a drink on the way?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

I think that report with 5 hrs was an outlier. Probably construction sonewhere along the line. Plus 12noon in the area from the airport to Bayamon is always heavy.

If I am not mistaken, the 9th is a sunday, so traffic to Rincon in the pm should be light.

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

I'm sorry it's actually not the 9th it's the 10th a Monday. So you don't think it will take that long? Also, I keep seeing mixed messages does google maps work there?

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

Good question, as we are doing the same airport to Rincon trip and might need a pit stop. We will be in on a Tuesday, hopefully leaving the airport at 1:30 to 2:00. Hope it's not 5 hours!

New York
Level Contributor
595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

Where are all you guys staying? I want to go and do airbnb or VRBO Flipkey

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

Google maps works well, but there are too many streets with similar names, so always good to have a specific landmark to search for.

On a weekday, you can get some traffic until Bayamon, but after that, it should be ok.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

Thanks. If we need to stop for a restroom break, are the gas stations and restaurants along the exits like the states.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

Better yet, there are malls you can see right off the highway. We do not do rest stops as highways go really close to where people live (small island, nothing is too remote).

Hatillo might be a good place to stop. That is where the highway ends.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

I've done this drive many times and there are plenty of places to stop, with lots of food stands serving local food. I've eaten at many of them and never had a problem. The trip has never taken me more than 2.5 hours.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,694 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

I just did that trip. Going, we stopped in Aguadilla at Restaurnt San Rafael.It's behind a Gas Station. The Food was great and super cheap. I paid $ 9.95 for Mahi Mahi with Tostones and salad.On the way back to SJ we stopped in Hatillo at a Gyros Place right off Road # 2. The Doner was $ 5.50 and I could only eat half. There must have been a pound of Lamb on the Pita

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halfway pit stop from San Juan to rincon

The locals stop at El Buen Cafe in Arecibo. Right at First traffic light after leaving tollroad into road #2 towards Mayaguez...