We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rincon for Children? What's to do?

Which Rincon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
2 posts
Save Topic
Rincon for Children? What's to do?

We are having a family reunion and plan to go to Rincon with 8 adults and 3 children - (all strong swimmers) - ages 11 / 7 / 6. Anybody have any ideas about things to do with the kids. We plan to be there for a week at Tres Sirenas.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

not far from RINCON is MAYAGUEZ. they have a wonderful zoo there. the kids will love theexhabits of free flying butterfles and parrots. in the town of ISABELA, north of RINCON, there is an awesome horseback riding tour at TROPICAL TRAIL RIDES adults cost $35.00 for a 2 1/2 hr ride thru a peacan forest and along one of the most stunning stretches of beach i have ever seen ! ! across the road from there is SHACK'S BEACH. this beach is BEAUTIFUL with excellent snorkeling! bring your own gear. there is also good snorkeling in RINCON at TRES PALMAS-STEP'S BEACH. best swimming beach is located at HOTEL VILLA COFRESI.. they also have jet ski rentals along with bananna boat rides. you do not have to be a guest there to use the beach.

if you go to ISABELA stop at HAPPY BELLY'S for a bite to eat it is located on HOBO'S BEACH,THE VIEW IS OUTSTANDING. visit www.rincon.org they have a hand drawn map on this site showing locations of beaches, rest's, ect. oh yeah, there is this really cool rest. up in the mountains that you have to check out called LA CIMA. it is built in the IN the mountain,you wil lnot believe the view visit:

www.lacimasunset.com

print the directions.....you'll ned them!!

good luck,

doda

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

2 more things.... 1ST the correct name of the beach that HAPPY BELLY'S is on is JOBO'S not HOBO'S. 2ND in LA PARGUERA there is a bio-bay if you get the chance and if the moon is less than 1/2 full..... GO ! this is a once in a life time experience! there are only 5 in the WORLD, and PUERTO RICO has 3 of them. this is the only one on the west-end of the island....it is awesome.

good luck,

doda

NY
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

We, too, are looking to travel for a week with those same aged children and 8 adults, to the very same place - except we may have two very old women with us, one who speaks no English. Any ideas?

Level Contributor
3 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

Although this is an older post, I just traveled to Rincon with small children so I thought I'd post a response for the next person.

The Mayaguez zoo if quite nice. It's a good size and reasonably priced. We went with a 15 yr old and a 3 yr old. The aviary is quite cool and the lions were a riot. It's only about 25 minutes from Rincon.

We were there in August so it was low season and pretty quiet. We ate at Rincon Tropical (good reasonably priced food with a fish tank to keep the toddler happy.) We also ate a Kaplash - totally overrated. The view was fabulous, but it's more of a bar with snacks as opposed to a dinner place. We did see a great rainbow from there but the setup is not a good one for kids under 5 years old. The staff wasn't too accomondating either. Had dessert at Lazy Parrot. Very goods. A really pretty place. Ate lunch at El Coche. Higher prices than other local places, but excellent food, great view, and it was empty when we first arrived - always a bonus with a toddeler who wants to walk around the place. The Bohio at Villa Cofresi is also good for toddlers. Most places serve chicken nuggets. fish nuggest, fried cheese balls, and surullitos (corn sticks) which little kids will eat. My picky eater also ate tostones and flan and lots of fresh fruit punch.

If you need to grocery shop, the Econo is the best supermarket. We got in on Sunday night and everything was closed except a convience store. We cooked in most of the time. Tshe liquor store is closed on Tuesdays, but the grocery stores sell booze. Taino Coffee is also closed on Tuesday.

Bought some cute clothes for my teenager and toddler at MeSalve - a discount store near Taino Coffee. There's a dollar store there too that we stocked up on art supplies and toys at - and an infant tub since our hotel.

Rented snorkel equipment at Desecho Divers - very helpful there.

Banana boat rides and jet skis at Villa Cofresi. They have a game room and pool tables too that my teen used. Small but nice Salt water tank for the fish-enamored toddler to gaze at.

Several playgrounds around town - but they were too hot to use in August.

Lots of animals around to amuse little ones - chickens in the road, horses eating grass in vacant lots, cats, dogs, coquis, birds all over the place. Bananas and cconuts in people's yards. These things interested my youngter.

others in my group went to Camuy caves with children. We didn't make it there but it's doable according to them.

In general, Rincon is a sleepy little town that the main attraction is hanging on the beach and swimming. Within five years it will be tourist mecca so if you like quiet beach towns go now.

I hope this helps someone else.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

i couldn't have summed up RINCON better myself ! we have been vacationing there for the last 9 years (this sept. will be the 10th) and so far even with all the development it hasn't turned into a tourist mecca and we hope it never does !!

thanks for your review,

doda

Level Contributor
3 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

Doda,

Your comment is very high praise to me. I read all your posts on Rincon before I went there. :)

I think it is inevitable that the area will become more built up now that there are two airports nearby. We actually flew into San Juan and drove over. A word of advice - I think the longer way (2 to 52 (?)) along the southcoast is actually faster than the northern route. We got held up in traffic near Aguadilla.

I also posted a long review of the Coconut Palms Inn which disappeared. I guess I did something wrong. I'll retry tonight. That was a pretty good place to stay with very small children. My post will explain why for anyone interested. With older children one of the hotels with a pool like Villa Cofresi or Rincon of the Seas might be better and have more activities.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

HEY RIPSTERS...i'll be looking for the review on COCONUT PALMS. we use to stay at a place called 'SUNSET PARADISE VILLA'S" just down the beach from there. the white houses with the blue trim. we decided to move up into the hills that overlook EL FARO PARK, DOMES BEACH, AND DESECHEO ISALAND. it saves us A LOT of money. ! so much that we were easily able to extend our vacations from 9 days to almost 20.the place is called THE PLACE IS CALLED THE DESECHEO INN.if you have one of those hand drawn tourist maps look between VISTA VACATION RESORT AND EL MIRADOR GUESTHOUSE. that's where it is. the view is gorgeous and they have a pool.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

i guess i pushed the wrong button as i was not done..ha ha...we kinda feel also that it is inevitable THE RINCON I LOVE is soon to disappear. too much over development. so if and when that happens i think we will move over to the town of ISABELA.. it is very pretty, they have mega sand dunes. you should check it out next trip !!!

thanks again,

doda

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

sorry just one more thing the people who own the DESECHEO DIVE SHOP also own the DESECHEO INN.

doda

Level Contributor
3 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rincon for Children? What's to do?

Doda,

My first choice was Villa Mar Hau in Isabel, but they were booked, so we ended up in Rincon. We wanted a quiet vacation and my SIL wanted to do some genealogy (sp?) research in Mayaguez and Aguadilla.

Next trip I think we will drive around the Island a bit and stay a few days in each place. I wish I had 20 days of vacation! That would be awesme. :)

Have a great trip!