We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Rincon & San Juan

Rapid City
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Rincon & San Juan

We are looking at vacation home rentals in Puerto Rico. We found a few we like in: San Juan, Rincon and Isla De Vieques. And there are others but all in these same areas..... My question is this: the one I like best is in Rincon.....but I am wondering if it would be stupid to go there when we want to do a lot if things in San Juan, Fajardo, and other things. I think the drive is a ways but we would be renting a car, too. All opinions are welcome....our first house prospect was in Loiza and we have since changed our minds about that due to safety. Thank you!!

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Rincon & San Juan

We love the Rincon area. However, the drive from San Juan is a very long 2.5 hour drive. We visited twice this year and decided when visiting Rincon, we will fly into the Aguadilla airport for future trips.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Rincon & San Juan

Rincon and Vieques are each very distant from San Juan and the attractions which surround it. As noted above Rincon is 2.5 hours or more out of SJ and you have to fly or take an (unreliable) ferry to Vieques. Either way it is a half day travel.

Each are best thought of as alternate destinations. I personally prefer Rincon as it is very laid back and there are many more options to stay right on a beach. While it is not near the El Yunque rain forest, there are even more mountains, world class zip lines, and surfing than in the North East. Vieques has mostly great calm beaches.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Rincon & San Juan

Altough Rincón and Vieques have better beaches and are more laid back relax ambiance, they are not an easy day trip to other attractions. Vieques would be the less accesible since you would need to take a ferry to/from the island itself.

Don't get me wrong, Rincón does have day trips, but with a longer driving time. For example from Rincon you could drive to Arecibo for the observatory and caves for about 1.5 hr; or visit Cabo Rojo lighthouse in an hour. El Yunque is about 3 hour 20 min drive (doable if you wake up early).

For nice beach and day trips accomodation it is best to stay in Isla Verde, Fajardo, or Rio Grande area. From these you can do nice 45 min drive day trips to different amenities and add more value to your vacation time.

Rapid City
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Rincon & San Juan

Thanks so much for all the input. I think we have decided on a couple of places in the Rio Grande area....They are almost as nice as the one in Rincon sounds. Maybe we can plan another trip to PR later and check out the other side!

5. Re: Question about Rincon & San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:15