We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginner Surfing in February.

Casper, Wyoming
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Beginner Surfing in February.

We plan to be in Rincon in February. We're a bit concerned that this is peak or big wave season for surfers. We're excited to surf but are beginners. I understand that Domes, Sandy, Parking Lot and Rivermouth are best for beginners. Is it reasonable for us to expect to be able to surf most days?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginner Surfing in February.

I've been in Rincon in February when it's anywhere from flat to huge. It really depends. If it's big, all the places you listed will be big. I know that some of the surf schools will take people to a couple of more sheltered spots (in Rincon or surrounding towns) when it's really big. Don't know if you're doing that or just renting boards; if so you may be able to get info on smaller spots from where you're renting the boards from.

Rahway
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginner Surfing in February.

We go to Rincon every year for the past 4 years. Last time we were there in late May/early June and the waves were PERFECT for beginner surfers. We went to Domes and it was just ideal for novices - like my husband, hee hee. I sort of know what I'm doing on a board, but I really appreciated the smaller waves as well. It was so much more gentle. I think winter is usually pretty big, but I think late spring and summer are known for smaller surf. It was really nice. Learning how surf in gentle, rolling 2-4 foot swells in 80 degree water can make anyone fall in love with surfing ;)

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginner Surfing in February.

Beginner waves are near Sandy and Parking Lots. Both spots are good as the bottom is mostly sandy. Some days will be better then others, but there will always be some type of waves to ride. If there is a huge swell coming in, most people will be at Domes and Tres and it's just best for beginners not to go out. Just sit back, relax and watch the experts do their thing. Domes is good on normal days but super popular. Even if there are no waves, there's plenty to do in and near Rincon. You won't be bored

Casper, Wyoming
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginner Surfing in February.

I appreciate the feedback. We decided to go to Cabarete, Dominican Republic this year. I am encouraged by the response though. Maybe next year. Thanks again.

5. Re: Beginner Surfing in February.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2016, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rincon
Recent Conversations