We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

Hi,

We will be in Perth from 26 Jan to 6 Feb 2014. Since we land in the late afternoon, the first day would probably be settling into a hotel and finding a place to eat and stroll in the evening.

We then have 11 days after that to see the sights and would appreciate some suggestions:

Places we currently have in mind:

1) King's park

2) Rottnest

3) Fremantle

4) Farmstay. Looking for one suitable for a child to explore and enjoy and would be grateful for any recommendations

We would like to see some countryside or outback but will the number of days be too short? We have heard of some beautiful national parks such as Purnululu National Park, but are still figuring out how to factor in the traveling to these places.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Edited: 23 October 2013, 15:03
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

I think you'll have to forget Purnululu: you'll be visiting during the Wet season when it's inaccessible. Even if it wasn't, it would be a long and expensive journey to get there.

For a touch of the "outback" you might enjoy a day or overnight trip to the Pinnacles, which are quite different from other countryside. As the time of year you are coming is very hot and gets hotter the further north you go, I wouldn't recommend going any further north than the Pinnacles, though you may enjoy a few days in the southwest. There are more farmstays in the southwest as well.

Are you planning to hire a car? Otherwise it will be more difficult and more expensive to get around.

Be aware that January 26 is a public holiday and parts of the city will be closed to traffic due to a fireworks display. It might be easier to stay in Fremantle.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

Thanks! as suggested we will skip Purnulu.

We are considering renting a car for part of the trip. I assume a car would be the best way to get to the farm for farmstay? Or is there another way?

For farmstay, could any recommend a good one for a young child to enjoy?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

I have heard people recommend using a car to get around Perth. Is that necessary or would the public transport system be adequate?

YorkFoodie, is the Pinnacles you suggested the geological formations up in Nambung National Park? Would you recommend a day trip or would there be sufficient activities to warrant a overnight stay?

As for the southwest, could you recommend some destinations? we are not fans of wineries so we would give those a miss. We are more interested in good food and great scenery / landmarks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

Some parts of Perth are reasonably easily accessed by public transport. Other tourist sites, such as the Swan Valley/Caversham are not. On the regular Perth forum at the right of the screen is a Top Question: "Public transport and will I need a car?" which you might read.

Yes, the Pinnacles are in Nambung. A day trip would suffice but many recommend the late afternoon light for speccy photos. This would require an overnight as it's not advisable to drive back to Perth at night when the roos are about on the roads. There's not much in the area itself but you could spend the morning in Yanchep park on the way before arriving in Cervantes in the early to mid-afternoon.

For the southwest (which is not all wineries) have a look at the WA Tourism website (and through the links to local tourist centres) for ideas you like:

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

You might enjoy a day trip to New Norcia as well. Very unique to WA - a bit of Europe in the red dirt.

www.newnorcia.wa.edu.au/monastery/

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

<<As for the southwest, could you recommend some destinations?>>

Have a read through the trip reports that others have posted for ideas:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c121009/Austr…

Margaret River is only 3(ish) hours drive south of Perth and although the region is renown for its wineries there is so much more to experience. An abundance of scenery and good food (as you've asked for) and also lots of activities for your 2.5 y.o.

Or take in an entire "loop" of the southwest via M.R./Pemberton/Walpole/Denmark/Albany. Allow at least 5 nights for this though (longer if possible) to fully appreciate what the southwest has to offer.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

Thanks very much guys! I like A J's idea of a southwest loop as it fits into our timeline of about 6-7 days outside of Perth. I will check out the attractions along the way and get your feedbacks on whether my planned itinerary is feasible.

By the way, I realise most people would do a self drive for such an itinerary, but could anyone recommend a tour company who might hire out a tour guide and car to drive us on a "southwest loop" ? I have to consider that as an option as, unfortunately, my wife doesnt trust the gps/maps/me not to get us lost and would prefer to travel in a tour group. However, I think most tour groups are catered more to adults and bigger kids and would be too strenuous on a toddler.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

You could try this guy - I've used him for airport transport and I know he runs private tours as well, but I'd imagine they're quite expensive.

Sergio - info@libertinotravel.com, www.libertinotravel.com

Good luck.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

It's pretty hard to get lost in the south west- not that many major roads :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 days in Perth - 2 adults & 2.5yr old

We have settled on Pumphill Farmstay near Pemberton. so now our Itinerary looks something like this.

Day 1: Land in Perth. Stay overnight in Perth

Day 2: Head down to Margaret River

Day 3 & 4: Farm Stay at Pumphill

Day 5: Explore Pemberton, take the forest tram

From here we are still working on the itinerary . We are looking a moving on to Albany and would like to go and visit the Pinnacles before coming back to Perth by Day 8 or 9. Its a really long drive from Albany to Cervantes. Are there noteworthy stops or places we should stay overnight in between Albany and Cervantes?

Edited: 27 October 2013, 12:35
Get answers to your questions about Greater Perth