We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

Incheon Korea
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

Hi everyone. I'm back for some more valued advice regarding our plan to explore the Perth Exmouth route.

Our group will consist of 4 adults and two children, aged 9 and 16 months.

We are planning to hire an 8 seater minivan (Kia grande should do it) and drive from Perth to Exmouth and have in total 14 nights from July 4th to 17th. Arriving on the 3rd and leaving on the 18th.

We hope to see the highlights along the way without having overly long drives. No more than 4 or 5 hours for the day, but can be flexibile.

Pinnacles

Geraldton

Kalbari

Carnarvon

Shark bay / Money Mia

Exmouth

I am particularly interested in Kalbari National Park and seacliffs, and also in exploring Exmouth and it's surrounds.

We are very much at the initial stages of our planning, in which everyone is happy to let me finalize the itinerary. I would love to hear your suggestions as how to allocate the days given the time of year and our group size.

We are all active and all in our late thirties. As the kids will be with us there is only so much adventure we can fit in, but we'll do our best. We would be seeking budget self catering accommodation and would love to fit in a farm stay or cattle station stay just to add something different to the experience.

I love the ever changing scenery on roads trips in Australia and am excited about this one. 3 years ago my wife and I had an awesome time navigating our way around the south west corner and it was only down to all your wonderful suggestions, advice and encouragement that we had such a great time.

So any initial thoughts on a sensible itinerary would be very much appreciated. As well as any other hints and tips you could offer.

Thanks Seoulite

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

How lovely to see you posting again. Funny, I was just thinking about you guys the other day :-)

Will have some thoughts after my brain wakes up, but will point out that self catering accommodation would be better booked earlier than later, as during the winter months a lot of retirees (aka "grey nomads" :-) ) head up for the warmer weather which places a premium on accommodation.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 13:36
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,478 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

Hi,

As mentioned by Yorkfoodie make sure you book your accommodation ASAP as it's very difficult to obtain availability in the peak times which is around July & August.

I have noticed you have not put Coral Bay into your itinerary. CB is approx. 1.5hrs south of Exmouth & is stunning & especially good for snorkelling off the beach.

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g580525-s2/Coral-B…

stayz.com.au/accommodation/…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

Your overall itinerary looks well thought out and feasible, with the order swapped for Carnarvon and Shark Bay? Otherwise you would be backtracking for a very long distance.

I'm assuming that your plans are to drive from Kalbarri to the Denham/Shark Bay/Monkey Mia area in one day.

Then from Denham/Shark Bay/Monkey Mia to Carnarvon, then Carnarvon to Exmouth.

I agree with Ellemay that Coral Bay is well worth a visit - they have glass-bottomed boat tours if you are not into snorkelling. There are more accommodation options at Exmouth but its very feasible to do a day trip to Coral Bay. Make sure you make the drive to Turquoise Bay from Exmouth and take a slice of bread to feed the fish - even the 16 month old should enjoy that, choose a calm day before the wind arrives.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

We made this very trip a few years back. You might get some ideas from our itinerary:

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i22664-Road_…

Incheon Korea
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Unfortunately I do not have the time like I had for my last trip to spend hours and hours planning, but I will try my best.

After much debate over driving distances (concerned about long drives with our daughter only being 16 months) we seemed to have agreed on the following rough plan. I am hoping that you all can offer further suggestions as to improve it, as I may have missed some things out.

Day 1 Perth pick up car

Day 2 Perth to Cervantes

Day 3 Cervantes to Kalbarri

Day 4 Kalbarri

Day 5 Kalbarri to Carnarvon

Day 6 Carnarvon to Exmouth

Day 7 Exmouth

Day 8 Exmouth

Day 9 Exmouth to Coral Bay

Day 10 Coral Bay

Day 11 Coral Bay

Day 12 Coral Bay to Carnarvon

Day 13 Carnarvon to Geraldton

Day 14 Geraldton to Perth

Day 15 Perth

Day 16 4pm flight home.

I know we have missed Shark Bay and Monkey Mia, but from what I have read, many people have mixed views on the place. I'm sure I would love it, but would prefer to spend time in the Exmouth and Coral Bay areas. Also the Wife is not very keen on spending over 5 hours in the car a day, so we kind of agreed to skip it.

I am also open to idea of putting another day elsewhere, maybe Shark day area, and skipping our last day in Perth. We had a good look around Perth on our previous visit. That would mean driving from Geraldton to Perth in the morning before our flight out. Would have to be back in Perth for around midday. Do you think this is doable or too risky?

Just to add, we are not overly interested in diving but would like to enjoy some snorkeling.

Also want to get cracking on the accommodation hunt as well.

Suggestions and tips very much appreciated.

Thanks

Seoulite

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

As much as I can see you wanting to maximise your time in the north, to be honest I'd drive down to Perth the afternoon before your flight home. It's a five hour drive, allowing for a brief pit stop, so you'd need to leave very early from Geraldton, and in the half light there could be still roos on the road. In addition you don't have any wiggle room if you have a breakdown, or a flat tyre, or get stuck behind a slow truck, etc etc. Missing your flight would have all kinds of flow on effects, not least financial.

And a daughter! Congratulations and felicitations!

Edited: 01 March 2014, 08:22
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

Alternatively, you could drive from Perth to Kalbarri the first day (about eight hours), and then leave Cervantes for the final night, then drive to the airport from there - only about 2.5 hours, doable if you get an early start.

I think your itinerary looks pretty good.

Incheon Korea
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

Yorkfoodie, thanks for the congratulations. She is a right character! And we have already dragged her to the UK and to Thailand and she was no trouble. Hope all is well with you.

We have revised our itinerary to the following

July 3rd First day - Perth

1 night Geraldton

1 night Carnarvon

3 nights Coral Bay

3 nights Exmouth

1 night Carnarvon - are there any other places we can stay instead?

2 Kalbarrii

1 night Cervantes

Next day July 18th drive to Perth. Arrive midday ish for 4pm flight home.

We have an extra 2 nights that I haven't allocated for. If it were your trip where you add them and why?

Perhaps Denham for a night after Carnarvon on the way down? Another night in Kalbarri, or in your opinion is one day exploring the park enough? Was also thinking of a 2nd night maybe at Geraldton on the way up. Is it worthy of a second night? Or any other suggestions?

I have also been looking at the Hi5 camper vans from travellers autobahn. They sleep 5 and are a good price. This could be a fun and would surely be a cheaper alternative. I have looked into some of the caravan parks, and places are filling up quickly. Does anyone have any experience of campervanning in Australia?

Thanks again

Seoulite

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,478 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

Caravan Parks in Australia are pretty good & most have waterfront locations. As mentioned you will have to book ahead as Nth WA at this time gets very busy with other campers.

wa.big4.com.au/australias-north-west.aspx

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perth to Exmouth itinerary help

I loved Denham, it was one of our favorite places on our NW trip - not just the town, but the surrounding area - Shark Bay in general.

I think your itinerary looks good.

<1 night Carnarvon - are there any other places we can stay instead?>

Not unless you want to try a roadhouse, and I don't suggest you do. There's just not a lot up that way, options are quite limited.

We enjoyed Carnarvon too - If you have time, visit the Big Dish and take a plantation tour.

Get answers to your questions about Greater Perth