We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

Incheon Korea
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

Ok, so I have left it untypically late, but my family and a friends family will be arriving in Perth on Thursday and on Friday July 4th will be self driving up to Geraldton.

I'm after some suggestion as to where we could possibly stop. We will have a baby (16 months old) with us, and a 9 year old boy alnong with 4 adults, so don't want to be stuck in the car for too long.

We are planning on the scenic route via the Indian ocean drive. Was thinking that we could stop at Yanchep park, either for breakie or mid morning break. Spending an hour or so enjoying the lake scenery and seeing the koalas and other wildlife.

The only other idea I have is to also take an hour or so at Lancelin to see the dunes and have a play around.

Perhaps one more snack break between Lancelin and Gerladton would probably do. Would like to get into Geraldton 5pm at the latest.

Any thoughts anyone? of any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,979 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

Greenough is a nice stop. It's a restored little (really small) historical village that you can park and wander into the buildings for a look etc.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

Dongara is nice as well.

The sideways trees at Greenough are pretty cool :-)

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
427 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

We'll definitely be stopping at Cervantes to get a look at The Pinnacles. The baby won't get much out of it but the 9 year old may enjoy going and I feel sure the adults in your party would want to see them.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

I think the Pinnacles is more worth a look than the sand dunes at Lancelin. Good suggestion!

Incheon Korea
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. We have a night planned at Cervantes to see the pinnacles at a later stage of the trip.

Was thinking of Yanchep maybe for an outdoor breakfast BBQ by the lake. Is this a good idea (I had an amazing breakfast BBQ once in York, which is influencing my decision). Is this a good idea? Or would it be too cold? and would I probably need too many utensils?

I am also keen on a short stop at either Dongara or Greenough.

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

The weather is supposed to be windy on Friday and it will be a cool morning as 5 degrees predicted, which normally occurs around sunrise/just after. Showers in the afternoon, continuing over the weekend.

Play the BBQ @ Yanchep by ear. You will need utensils - tongs, spatula if you intend to have eggs. I find the electric BBQs take a long time to heat up and no longer bother.

Incheon Korea
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

Ok thanks Perthite. That is pretty chilly, we will play it by ear as you suggested.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

If you do stop in Dongara-Port Denison, there's a picnic area overlooking the Irwin River Estuary and some good views from the Fisherman's Memorial, as well as sparkling white sand dunes off of the Dongara Coastal Road.

Greenough River Walk Trail in Greenough is a pleasant place to stretch one's legs.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

Hi,

Great advice to date from the others but just winding back a bit. You do realise you will need a properly fitted baby seat for the 16 month old and a booster for the 9yo. Not much room for the others and luggage???

Cheers,

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended places to stop between Perth and Geraldton

Oz - OP has been here before and (in WA anyway) you don't need a booster for a 9 year old ... They are hiring an 8 seater Kia Grande or similar.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 06:50
Get answers to your questions about Greater Perth