We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colon and Maria Chiquita Hotels and Beaches

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Topic
Colon and Maria Chiquita Hotels and Beaches

I'm looking at a family trip to Panama in March. I'm looking for advice on both a place to stay and some advice on beaches. Looking for a beach that has surf, I've heard Maria Chiquita in pretty good there in March. Also would like to find a better white sand type beach. I'm only going to be there 5 or 6 days so I don't wanna waste a day traveling back and forth to Bocas. As for place to stay I'd like a nicer place close to the beach (traveling with 3 kids 15,10,4) but don't wanna spend $200 a night either.Any advice or suggestions would be great.

2 replies to this topic
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colon and Maria Chiquita Hotels and Beaches

If you are looking for white sandy beaches - you arent really going to find it in the area, Isla Grande does have a small one -

I don't know the specific town you are talking about but do know the area, water is clearer than the Pacific but won't be the blue clearer water you will find in Bocas or San Blas.

I agree - with only 5 days - don't bother going to Bocas - too much traveling

You might look into Bananas resort on Isla Grande - not really a resort , pretty small - I took my kids there when the y were about the ages of yours - they really enjoyed it, hiking, kayaking, some snorkeling

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colon and Maria Chiquita Hotels and Beaches

I have to echo CDY's comments about not finding white sandy beaches -- or any kind of sandy beaches in this part of the Caribbean side. The shore is very rocky, except for a few, small patches of sand. Also, you won' find surf on Isla Grande or the Colon province shore. You'll have to go to Bocas if you want surf. Personally, for surf and beaches, I would go to Bocas. If beaches are more important than surf, consider San Blas.

As for travel time, chances are you'll be spending a night in Panama City anyway. You can be in Bocas by 7:30AM the next morning if you fly. Driving to Isla Grande will take a little over two hours. You definitely don't want to do that in the late afternoon or night, as the water taxis stop when it gets dark -- about 6 PM. You will have to spend the night in Portobelo.

Reply to: Colon and Maria Chiquita Hotels and Beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Colon Province