We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Amazon Basin/Machu Picchu

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Upper Amazon Basin/Machu Picchu

My wife and I are hoping to go to the Upper Amazon Basin and Machu Picchu in 2014. We are in our early 60's, like basic comforts (bathroom in the room), but are pretty adaptable and adventurous. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone know anything about the La Esmeralda that has trips down the river? Or Explorama Lodges? Any recommendations for good tour companies for Machu Picchu? One recommendation I got was Dos Manos Peru. Any suggestions as to best time to go for weather, number of tourists, etc?

Thanks.

United States
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Amazon Basin/Machu Picchu

Hi!!

You have plenty of good amazon lodge options in Tambopata and Manu which are both close to Cusco and can be accesed directly by plane or land from Cusco. If you'd like to visit the jungle close to Iquitos it's also a very good option but you´d need to connect flight via Lima (shouldnt be a problem).

Haven´t really heard of Dos Manos Peru so I really cant say much about them. I like to recommend Peruvian Soul (www.peruviansoul.com) they did a great job in our trip.

Weather wise in Peru's Andes and Amazon you have:

Rain Season from around November to May (peak of the rainny season is in February)

Dry Season: the rest of the year

Regarding tourist flow:

High Season goes from June to about September (the peak is definately in late june, during the Inti Raymi festivities).

Happy Travelling =)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Amazon Basin/Machu Picchu

Thanks very much. Very useful info.

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper Amazon Basin/Machu Picchu

The lodges/ companies you mention operate near Iquitos in the north of Peru. As poster 2 says the lodges in the Tambopata area are very good plus they are so much closer to Cusco and Machu Picchu, a 50 minute flight.

So it fits better with most itineraries. You could fly in from Cusco then fly out to Lima on your way home.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper Amazon Basin/Machu Picchu

thanks for the info.

5. Re: Upper Amazon Basin/Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:17