We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lares Trek questions

San Francisco...
7 posts
Lares Trek questions

I'm flying off to Peru at the end of next week, and of course I'll be going to Cusco/Sacred Valley/Machu Picchu.

I'm most likely going to be doing the Lares Trek (and yes I know it doesn't go all the way to MP). I have a few questions about Lares:

- Can anyone recommend a particularly reputable tour operator? My priority isn't going as cheap as possible, it's getting a quality tour with emphasis on comfort and safety, and one that is ethical and treats/pays its guides well.

- Will I need to book in advance or can I book it in Cusco?

- I will be bringing an Osprey Farpoint 70 backpack (which contains a detachable daypack) with me. Will I be lugging it the whole time? Or will a guide be carrying it (on his back? on an animal? on a cart?) Or will I have the option to leave it in a locker at a hostel in Cusco?

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
294 reviews
1. Re: Lares Trek questions

There are several Lares treks we did the 3 day one to Ollantaytambo trek a few years ago.some photos and detail on our blog @

https:/…

We organised our trek at South American Explorers Club in Cusco, which I think is now closed. There are a number of options, DIY, guide and porter etc. We decided on private trek with our guide who organised a cook, and a couple of horses to carry all the gear, including our main packs, so we hiked with day packs only. Most Hostals will store bags for you so that could be an option.

If you have a few days in Cusco before trekking it should be possible to organise on arrival but it does take a little time. Two or three days should be enough , alternatively this is a decent resource for selecting trekking companies :

andeantravelweb.com/peru/…index.html

An amazing trek - enjoy!

Reply to: Lares Trek questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted