1. Booked the 4 day/3 night Inca Trail to MP with Loki travel about 6 months in advance to secure the permit. $360 plus $95 for a full porter. Very professional working with Rachel at Loki. There were 6 people in total for the trip . Cost less than other travel agency and received the same benefits OTHER than - no basin for washing hands , no snacks except for the first day.,extra $9 if you need to take the bus from MP to Agua Calientes ( we walked and enjoyed it). I originally had the Backpacker train for 9:30 P.M from Agua Calientes to Olly but the guide changed it to the Expedition train at 6:45 P.M. without any extra charge. Also received a free hot shower and lunch in Agua Calientes.
2. You do need to be in shape for the Classic Inca Trail hike. Met folks who had altitude sickness or had to turn back because they couldn't make the climb on the 2nd day. Lots of steps summit. Toilet facilities at the campsites were horrific. We had to find our own outdoor arrangement.
3. Scotia Bank is the best to take out money from ATM. No fee charged from Scotia Bank. Unfortunately, 500 Soles maximum only per transaction. Perhaps it may be different for non B of America ATM customers.
4. Any tear or old looking U.S. Bills will not be honored at the exchange booths. They rejected several of my $20 US Bills.
5. Better value using no forex fee Visa credit card
6. Must take one day Bus tour of Sacred Valley. We paid 25 soles each for day tour and had a great guide. Can't remember which tour agency but at Plaza de Armas
7. Stayed at Picol Hostal (cancelled El Triunfo even though there was a great review) thanks to a recommendation from someone here at Tripadvisor. Cost $10 US D less a night and was centrally located and in a quiet area.
8. Pisac market a must on Sunday. We took the shared mini van for 5 soles each.Edited: 16 September 2012, 17:27