We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report for Cusco and Machu Picchu- August to Sept 2012

Level Contributor
1,158 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report for Cusco and Machu Picchu- August to Sept 2012

1. Booked the 4 day/3 night Inca Trail to MP with Loki travel about 6 months in advance to secure the permit. $360 plus $95 for a full porter. Very professional working with Rachel at Loki. There were 6 people in total for the trip . Cost less than other travel agency and received the same benefits OTHER than - no basin for washing hands , no snacks except for the first day.,extra $9 if you need to take the bus from MP to Agua Calientes ( we walked and enjoyed it). I originally had the Backpacker train for 9:30 P.M from Agua Calientes to Olly but the guide changed it to the Expedition train at 6:45 P.M. without any extra charge. Also received a free hot shower and lunch in Agua Calientes.

2. You do need to be in shape for the Classic Inca Trail hike. Met folks who had altitude sickness or had to turn back because they couldn't make the climb on the 2nd day. Lots of steps summit. Toilet facilities at the campsites were horrific. We had to find our own outdoor arrangement.

3. Scotia Bank is the best to take out money from ATM. No fee charged from Scotia Bank. Unfortunately, 500 Soles maximum only per transaction. Perhaps it may be different for non B of America ATM customers.

4. Any tear or old looking U.S. Bills will not be honored at the exchange booths. They rejected several of my $20 US Bills.

5. Better value using no forex fee Visa credit card

6. Must take one day Bus tour of Sacred Valley. We paid 25 soles each for day tour and had a great guide. Can't remember which tour agency but at Plaza de Armas

7. Stayed at Picol Hostal (cancelled El Triunfo even though there was a great review) thanks to a recommendation from someone here at Tripadvisor. Cost $10 US D less a night and was centrally located and in a quiet area.

8. Pisac market a must on Sunday. We took the shared mini van for 5 soles each.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 17:27
Inka Wasi Travel Service
Bus Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Free Walking Tour Cusco
City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Bus Tours
The Luxury Peru Travel Company
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Sanctuary Land
Private Tours, Walking Tours, Bus Tours, Rail Tours
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report for Cusco and Machu Picchu- August to Sept 2012

BTW I have been able to get out more than 500 soles per withdrawal (on the screen select other amount, today I got 700 soles.) Not sure what the max is but there is only so much cash I want to carry.

Level Contributor
1,158 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report for Cusco and Machu Picchu- August to Sept 2012

For Scotia bank, 500 soles max for me but for another bank (BP something) i was able to take out $200 max with $5 fee from bank and $5 fee from my own B of America Bank.

3. Re: Trip Report for Cusco and Machu Picchu- August to Sept 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:16