We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day itinerary help in Cusco/MP

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 day itinerary help in Cusco/MP

I'll be arriving in Cusco on a early November Tuesday at 7:30 in the morning, leaving on Friday in the morning. I currently reserved a hotel in Cusco, but wondering if that's the right choice given I also want to visit MP during my stay. Can someone help with the following itinerary?

Day 1: Arrive early morning in Cusco. Just explore around Cusco, try to adjust to the altitude.

Day 2: Early train to MP, explore in MP, a hike to the Sun Gate?

Day 3: Not sure, open for suggestions :)

Day 4: Leaving Cusco in the morning.

Couple questions:

- How long is the train ride from Cusco to MP? And how much?

- Does it make sense to stay somewhere else(Ollantaytambo?) the night of Day 2?

- Any reservation I need to make before I get to Peru? Like trains tickets etc. ?

Thanks in advance for the help

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day itinerary help in Cusco/MP

From Cusco station ( Poroy) to MP is about a 4 hour ride and very few options a day. You are much better of to hire a cab to Ollantaytambo and catch the train there for a 1 hour and 15 minute ride and many more scheduled trains..

Staying in the SV instead of Cusco will help you with the acclimatization process.

Check prices for trains at http://www.perurail.com/en/

Yes, by all means reserve in advance.

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day itinerary help in Cusco/MP

Thanks xochitl, I modified my itinerary to stay one night in AC and planning to take a cab from the airport to Ollantaytambo.

Couple forum post suggest the cab fare should be around $20-$30, but warned about cab driver over charging. What is the recommended way to get a cab? Do I negotiate the fare before I get on?

I want to visit both MP and Huayna Picchu, what do you recommend the best use of the time? Since I'm arriving in Ollantaytamobo on an early afternoon, can I take a bus to MP that late in the afternoon? Then visit HP early next morning?

Thanks again for the advices!

3. Re: 4 day itinerary help in Cusco/MP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 10:15