We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donations/gifts to Children

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Donations/gifts to Children

I am traveling to MP, Sacred Valley and Cusco with my 12 year old son, and have, in general, read about two schools of thought regarding giving local children small gifts such as pencils, chalk, etc. I do not want to be condescending and give a pencil, etc., to every child we run across, but would it be appropriate for my son to give something in the event he strikes up a conversation with a child? He tends to do this wherever we go (airport, park, hotel,etc.) and our family always jokes that he makes friends anywhere. If so, what is appropriate that the Peruvian kids would like? I know of a website that lists schools and orphanages in various countries for you to go and actually bring items too, but there is nothing about Peru.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,221 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donations/gifts to Children

It would be better to contact a school, clinic, or orphanage and find out exactly what they need/want. I frankly see no difference between an adult dispensing gifts and a 12 year old, unless a real friendship has evolved over several days and the gift is something meaningful to the recipient, rather than some trinket bought in advance. While your son means well, it still smacks of condescension to hand someone a "gift" after what? A ten-minute conversation? Does he do this at home, too?

Contact your hotel or perhaps tour agency if a local one, and they can probably put you in touch with a local institution. And you may be able to buy the supplies there instead of hauling them from home.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donations/gifts to Children

I would recommend that you contact a local (and trust worthy) charity operating in Peru, and make a donation to them. Globalteer are a UK based charity with offices in Cusco that would happy receive a donation to support their after school projects for under privileged kids.

http://www.globalteer.org/

http://www.volunteer-in-peru.org/

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donations/gifts to Children

Thank you, and your response and perspective is very much appreciated as I I see you are not from the US.

4. Re: Donations/gifts to Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 04:15