We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newly revised itinerary Lima, Tarma, Cuzco, Puno

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Newly revised itinerary Lima, Tarma, Cuzco, Puno

Saludos,

I have probably my 7th version of a trip that I'm trying to plan for this August for my husband and I (30 yr old, active couple). I would appreciate any feedback, particularly on areas with ?s.

Gracias de antemano para cualquier ayuda!!

Day 1 SAT: fly into Lima very early AM, sleep a bit, explore Lima during the day and evening.

Day 2 SUN: take bus (via Transportes Junin or Colectivo (Colectivo is 2 hrs less but there seems to be a need to take a cab somewhere to get this Colectivo.)

Tarma is 4-6 hrs away?? I wonder is there are places to stop along the way via Junin transportes. Also not sure of how far in advance I need to book bus or how.

Arrive in Tarma. Settle in. etc.

Day 3 MON: Day in Tarma (not sure what to do. Maybe just explore, people watch. The reason for going to Tarma is to go somewhere in Peru that is not super touristy. Spend 2nd night in Tarma.

Day 4 TUES: Leave Tarma for Lima. Fly to Cuzco from Lima (evening flight). Settle into Cuzco.

Is it necessary to book flight ahead of time?

DAY 5 WED: Day in Cuzco. Lots to do. Haven't decided yet.

DAY 6 THURS: Leave on 4 day Lares Trek to Machu Pichu (Still unsure of which company). Still open to doing another trek. We're most interested in being able to visit smaller villages, etc.

Day 7 FRI: TREK

Day 8 SAT: TREK

DAY 9 SUN: TREK

DAY 10 MON: Machu Pichu - return to Cuzco in the evening.

Day 11 TUES: leave Cuzco to Puno by flight possible. Settle into Puno.

DAY 12 WED: Lake Titicaca, Islands.

Day 13 THURS: Fly back to Lima from Puno - Leave for US in late evening – 10:40 pm flight

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newly revised itinerary Lima, Tarma, Cuzco, Puno

Tarma is a nice little city not to far away from Lima. You will go through a high mountain pass at above 4600 meters so be prepared for it. If you go by bus or colectivo you will not be able to do any stops on the road.

In love Tarma, its one of the areas that grows flowers in Peru and its a small city, but not to much to do.

Careful with the Lares trek, as it does not go to MP itself. Check here for more information andeantravelweb.com/peru/treks/lares.html. . They all end up in Ollantaytambo from where you need to still take the train to Aguas Calientes and then a bus to MP which you nedd to book in avance !

New England
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newly revised itinerary Lima, Tarma, Cuzco, Puno

In July we are doing the Lares trek with SAS. While the trek part actually ends on the third day you still hsve your guide for the MP visit. They have been very helpful with all of our questions. We are planning,at their suggestion, to spend several days in the Sacred Valley and Cusco to acclimate since there are some very high passes on the Lares trek.

We are also going to Puno after our trek and chose not to fly to Lima from Puno and fly home from Lima on the same day in case of delays leaving Puno. Maybe just being overly cautious but it feels right for us.

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newly revised itinerary Lima, Tarma, Cuzco, Puno

Thanks for your responses

@xochitl: Is the road to Tarma really difficult? Woudl most of it be unenjoyable? Like I wrote earlier, I'm looking for something in Peru not on the 'gringo trail' and thought Tarma sounded like a small place that we could get a sense of the people, life, etc. Do you think the trip there is not worth a visit?

Re: the Lares Trek - it has a' MP extension' but thanks for looking out.

Thanks again.

4. Re: Newly revised itinerary Lima, Tarma, Cuzco, Puno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 07:17