We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Llama Path Review

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Llama Path Review

I recently used Llama Path for the Inca Trail. Loved them, wanted to show them some love. So, I posted the review below to TripAdvisor.

Today, I received this response from TripAdvisor:

"Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry, but we weren't able to publish your review because we don't post reviews about multi day tours on our site.

That said, you're very welcome to post your message on TripAdvisor Forums (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome). Forums are discussion boards in which members ask and answer as many travel-related questions as they like, share opinions and get travel help from fellow members.

We look forward to seeing your contribution to our community.

Best regards,

TripAdvisor Support Team"

The reasoning makes no sense to me because 9 of the top 10 "activities in Cusco" contain reviews for multi-day tours. Llama Path deserves the love, so I'm posting in the Forums as advised. TripAdvisor's differential treatment is disappointing.

Here is my original review:

Subject: Llama Path - Day Tours

Title: Best Choice for 4D/3N Inca Trail

ID#: 176294241

I can't speak highly enough about Llama Path.

From the start, I had good e-mail communication with Llama Path. When my friend cancelled, they again quickly confirmed my details for the trip. Even though my friend had reserved a half porter, Llama Path did not charge him or me for it.

When I arrived to pay my balance, the young woman was exceedingly helpful. She spent a long time going over the information with me and answering all of my questions, even ones not related to the Inca Trail.

When I heard that my group had 16 hikers, I was originally disappointed. Ultimately, however, it was a non-issue. We had 3 guides (Roger, Coco and Juan Carlos), so the hiker-to-guide ratio was great. If I had a question, there was always a guide nearby to answer it. Each hiker was allowed to go at his/her own pace, so I was never rushed/slowed by anyone else in the group.

Hire the half porter for yourself. Bring or rent hiking poles. (LP's were quality Black Diamond poles and an inexpensive lifesaver at $8/pole.) Pack light. Bring sandals you can wear with socks at the campsite.

Tipping: Having read previous reviews, I paid particular attention to what LP said about tipping. LP brought it up only 3 times (including the orientation), and it was always in a suggestive, helpful way. Frankly, it was no different than how I would explain tipping in U.S. restaurants to foreigners. Consider it as part of the cost of doing the Inca Trail, regardless of whether you use LP or another company.

What sets Llama Path apart from its competitors?

1. Treatment of porters. Yes, the Red Army travel as a group, and they're treated well on the trail. LP is also building them a home where they can stay when they're not working the trail.

2. The first two days, LP starts earlier and goes farther on the trail, which means you encounter fewer hikers on the trail. As a result, the experience is intimate and you don't get caught behind slower hikers. Also, you get more time to relax on the third day. The experience at Winay Wayna on the 3rd day might have exceeded Machu Picchu. At most, there was one other group there, so you had the entire site to yourselves.

Alpaca Expeditions
Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours
Machu Picchu Viajes Peru
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Archaeology Tours
Lorenzo Expeditions
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Inkan Milky Way Tours Cusco
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Cusco
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Llama Path Review

Dear abseiltravel,

Thanks so much for your review. It is great to know you loved the tours with us!!

We are also extremely disappointed of the TripAdvisor's differential treatment.

We have seen how over 100 reviews (mostly excellent) have been deleted from our site !

Also we are very sorry that a few weeks ago we have been changed our status to 'Day Tours' and we are not day tours at all!

I wrote to Trip Advisor seeking for a clarification and we hope to receive their answer very soon.

Thanks again for posting your review!

The Llama Path Team.

St Albans
Level Contributor
170 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Llama Path Review

Tripadvisor can be unbelievably stupid at times. Are they going to ban ALL Trail reviews?

I had the same thing last year when I tried to post a review of a safari company in South Africa that included a minibus from Joburg, a camp, and game drives. Tripadvisor rejected it because I wrote about the minibus trip from Joburg as part of my review

Cusco
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Llama Path Review

Hi all;

We are still waiting for an answer.

So far over 200 Reviews (98% rated Excellent) have been deleted :-( we used to be the most reviewed company....

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Llama Path Review

The rules are the rules...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Llama Path Review

"The rules are the rules..."

What a meaningless tautology that adds nothing to the discussion.

Perhaps you could explain why TripAdvisor is selectively enforcing its "rules" (and apparently to the detriment of one of the local providers).

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Llama Path Review

I am very happy to see this review.. We are a group of 4, and have booked with LP for the Inca Trail in early May. There are so many tour companies to chose from, so I'm glad that it seems we have probably made a good choice. Can't wait for the experience!

Bristol, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Llama Path Review

I and some other friends are also booked for 2014!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Llama Path Review

Let's hope TA will do the same to all companies' reviews at some point...

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Llama Path Review

A lot of TAs censoring is automated. Frankly, their site could use some serious upgrades...let us post trip photos. But if their software isn't set for reviews of treks it gets dumped. They need to pay their IT folks a living wage and fix this stuff.

As to Llama Path...they are one of the older agencies. Last few years their reviews have really gone up. There was a rough period quite a while ago due to an employee but that is long past them. Cusco has many agencies. Shopping by price alone should be well down on your list. Those who have been around indicates they offer a consistent service.

10. Re: Llama Path Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 05:17