We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

Hi,

We finally set up our overall itinerary in Peru and now we need to fine tune the plan in cusco area. We have the following two options in mind, The first one gives us one whole day in MP and the second option gives one whole day plus late afternoon (maybe couple hours) the day before. Which plan do you think makes more sense?

While visiting MP, we are interested in hiking to Huayna Picchu, Intipunku and Una Picchu. Is one whole day enough for that? Please let me know if there's anything missing that you think is interesting and can be fit into the schedule. Thanks.

12/19(T) Day 2: morning flight to cusco (star peru 8:35am-9:45am), moray-maras-salineras, Ollantaytambo drop off bag, train to aguas callientes(2hr) stay at aguas callientes.

12/20(F) Day 3: Machu Picchu, late afternoon train back to Ollantaytambo, stay at Ollan

12/21(S) Day 4: Ollantaytambo morning, Urubamba, yucay, pisac ruin, stay at pisac

12/22(S) Day 5: pisac market, Awana Kancha, chinchero market/ruin, cusco city , stay at cusco

12/23(M) Day 6: cusco city, Sacsayhuaman, Quenko, Pucapucara, and Tambomachay, stay at cusco

12/24(T) Day 7: cusco market, maybe south valley(tipon) afternoon, stay at cusco

Or: (1.5 day at machhu picchu)

12/19(T) Day 2: morning flight to cusco (star peru 8:35am-9:45am), Ollantaytambo drop off bag, train to aguas callientes(2hr), late afternoon at machu picchu, stay at aguas callientes

12/20(F) Day 3: Machu Picchu, late afternoon train back to Ollantaytambo, stay at Ollan

12/21(S) Day 4: Ollantaytambo morning, moray-maras-salineras, Urubamba, yucay, stay at pisac

12/22(S) Day 5: pisac market/ruin, Awana Kancha, chinchero market(ruin), stay at cusco

12/23(M) Day 6: cusco city, Sacsayhuaman, Quenko, Pucapucara, and Tambomachay, stay at cusco

12/24(T) Day 7: cusco x'mas market, south valley(tipon) maybe afternoon, stay at cusco

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Huayna Picchu
Huayna Picchu
3,837 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Awana Kancha
Awana Kancha
210 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Sacsayhuaman
Sacsayhuaman
11,728 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Tambomachay
Tambomachay
1,366 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
952 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

I don't think one day is enough to do all those hikes and see MP.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

Based on what I read, I'm thinking about allocating 2 hours for Intipunku, 3 hours for Huayna Picchu and 1 hour for Una Picchu. We'll take one of the early buses up to MP and come down with one of the last buses, Last train back to Ollan is after 6pm. This gives us about 10-11 hours at MP. Theoretically it may work timewise, but I'm not sure if it's doable in real physically.

If we have to spread out MP visit into two because of these hikes, do you think it's worth it? And do you think our second option can work out for the later part in scared valley/cusco?

btw, for HP, is there a time limit that you can stay on the top if you enter as the 7am group?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Huayna Picchu
Huayna Picchu
3,837 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

Just reading your itinerary is making me exhausted. It seems like way, too much. Your plan for Machu Picchu makes sense if all you want to do is hike and do not really care about actually seeing the ruins. You should add an hour or two for wandering around the buildings with or without a guide.

As far as I'm aware, if you enter HP at 7:00 am, there is essentially no limit to how late you can stay. If you wanted to stay all day, eventually they'll start moving you back out, but practically, you can definitely stay while the later group is hiking if you want to.

Most of your other days seem really, really busy to me, too. I'd cut back a little or you'll spend most of your time rushing around. You're particularly rushed in Cusco in both itineraries.

Chinchero is also near to Moray and Salinas so if you were going to do those three, it makes sense to do them on the same day. Doing Chinchero on the way from Pisac to Cusco makes no sense as it's like an hour drive in the wrong direction.

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Redwood City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

I put the chinchero on the same day as pisaq because they have the Sunday market and some posts on this forum highly recommended it. Dont know if it worth the backtracking. i feel the first plan probably makes more sense since it leaves more time for Sacred Valley. And i will cut the hiking in Mp. Some discussion on this forum said it's possible to do both HP and sun gate and the site in one day. i guess 5 hours hiking, 5 hours rooms. I think I will do HP then if time/energy allowed, do the sun gate or Una picchu.

If Urubamba and Yucay are just drive through on the way and Tipon is just a maybe depending on how everything goes. Do u still think it's too rush? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Yucay
Yucay
Sacred Valley, Peru
Tipon
Tipon
973 Reviews
Cusco Region, Peru
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

I would pick one of the Sunday markets and either skip the other or go another day. Trying to do both in one day really means a lot of time in the car.

6. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 22:11
Redwood City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

Thanks BestOfCusco for the information. I downloaded the guide and that's the best concise guide that I've seen so far. =)

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

Glad to hear it helped! Have a great trip.

9. Re: Finalizing itinerary in cusco/sacred valley/macchu picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:21