We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

We are going to Cuzco and Macchu Pichu in a couple of weeks and wonder where there are ATM terminals or banks that accept Discover Card or Diners Club. Discover (which covers both) told me that they are in Peru but with a very "light presence." We'd be interested to know re: Cuzco and Macchu Pichu. Discover, by the way, has no foreign transaction fees for American cardholders, so it would be advantageous to use it. (AmEx wants 2.7% and Visa wants 3% per transaction; Visa also wants a transaction fee of an additional 3% or $10.00, whichever is greater.) - Thanks for any help you can offer.

indianapolis
Level Contributor
103 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

Hopefully some locals will reply here - but I would have a backup plan. Especially if Discover itself says they have a "light presence". We use the Capital One Visa for no transaction fees - not sure if you have time to get one before you leave?

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

Thanks for the quick reply! I must confess we don't particularly like Capitol One. (Our Visa is through Chase.) My wife has an account at a credit union which has had good rates for us in Europe, so we'll check that tomorrow.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

Forget Discover. It's barely accepted outside the US. I use a capital one MasterCard and Chase United Explorer visa for my international travel. Both do not have foreign exchange fees. You did not say why you don't like cap one. I've had mine for years with never a problem.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

I use a capital one as well and am really pleased. I have encouraged family to get one and they have been happy too. The 2 points per $ spent is a good program IMO. I use those points to buy American Airlines miles when on sale and they go a lot further that way. However I too have a Discover and over the last few years they have grown their world wide presence exponentially! Personally I would not plan on using it in Peru much, if at all.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad the Capital One users here have had better luck than friends of ours have had. We also find the "intellectual" level of their advertising offensive. It is becoming obvious that perhaps we are taking the wrong Visa card; we'll check our inventory! As I said, we are checking my wife's credit union's policies, too. We also know that Discover has a significant presence in Ecuador, where we are also going. Discovered is also accepted at Diners Club and JCP locations as well. Still, as the prevailing wisdom states, "Always back up," so we'll bring more than one card, of course.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

I too use my credit union ATM card for foreign travel. A word to the wise though, if you use one with a VISA logo on it they will charge you an exchange fee. However I was able to request a plain ATM card without the VISA logo. (and when I needed to renew the teller did not know what I was talking about) The one without a VISA logo has no fees. I use Credit Union of the Rockies, but I would guess yours may be similar.

As for Cap 1 - I think you can have good and bad experiences with any CC company. As for marketing pfft I am not paying attention. I only care about interest rates, fees and benefits! Best of luck to you!

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

Thanks for the tips! We'll know more tomorrow.

8. Re: Discover or Diners Club Card locations in Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:16