We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town near Lima for 4 day visit

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
134 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Town near Lima for 4 day visit

We are a senior couple looking for a town away from the city to spend a few days relaxing. It should be at an elevation of 2500 m or less. We would like a hotel or b&b within walking distance of restaurants. We would like to spend less than 100 USD each way for private transport. We are not very interested in tourist sites and not at all in fine dining. We would like to experience the local culture. Suggestions of towns with "local flavor" near Lima would be appreciated.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,422 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

A very nice small town not to far away from Lima is Tarma.

Its quite a ride as you go over a 4800 meters above sea level pass, but it is known as the flower city as many flowers are produced in hat area.

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
921 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

Really, $100 USD won't get you far in Peru, or to any interesting towns. Maybe go to Chosica or somewhere in the outskirts of Lima.

I also like the town of Tarma, but private transportation will cost more than $100 USD each way. It will cost a LOT more. You would need to take the bus to stay within your budget.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
134 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

Thanks xochitl and PeruIsCool for your reply. Tarma sounds great but I am concerned about the altitude. My wife was terribly sick for two days after flying into Quito.

PeruIsCool, I am not stuck on the USD 100 amount, $200 USD would be about our limit. Chosica sounds nice also. However, the Chosica forum has no posts and the links to hotels and restaurants do not show any exist. A search of the web for hotels shows hotels that are not in Chosica. A hotel within walking distance of restaurants is a must. Do you know if Chosica has hotels/bb like this? Also, I read an old post which said that Chosica was dangerous to visit because of dengue. Is this still a problem? We already have our plane tickets to Lima for mid August and have a couple of days planned for Lima. When we travel, we like to spend a few days in the countryside. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

Hi, how much days are you planning to stay in Lima?

For what you're saying, the best option would be Arequipa(1 hour flight from Lima). It has the "local flavor" that you're looking for. Also you can find hotels out of town, rigth in the middle of the fields and mountains. The only problem is the altitude, much like Quito (2,200 mts aprox).

If you decide to stay in Lima. There´s is a place near from Lima (half hour in car) called Cieneguilla. You can find hotels to spend the weekend, very relaxing experience.

About the transportation, the amount of money that you will need depends of what you wan to do. If you just want to go to a couple museums (center of Lima) should be $15 to $30 to enter (total). The trip from the Hotel to center of Lima costs you aproximatly $7 - $10 each one. Lunch would costs you like $5 - $7.

So $100 should be most than enought for a good day.

Good luck.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

Chosica does have a lot of lodges and restaurants but Peru is a bit behind in internet use so many either don't have websites or have broken links. Maybe also try Chaclacayo which is a bit nearer than chosica. Cieneguilla is another option. I think it might feel less city-like than Chosica or Chaclacayo, however I would be more inclined to call them far away suburbs than independent cities. Lima is huge, so anywhere near the outskirts still feels like you are just in a suburb and you might not even see one field. Lima is a ginormous conurbation over 150km long with about 9million people so it is slowly absorbing every small town around it.

If you don't want to actually feel the presence of the city at all, I would suggest heading for the hot springs north of Lima in Churin since it is not to high up and has a lot of natural mountain beauty. I have always wanted to go there but the world keeps conspiring against it. Do keep in mind that there are cero english speakers there, since it has almost no international visitors. You would probably spend less than $40 per day there no matter what you do and probably less than that in transport each way, but it is 5 to 8 hours by a dodgy looking bus and part of it is on a dirt road. Like I said this place is almost unknown outside Peru and many Limenios have no idea it is even there (Limenios never go north for vacations unless it's to coastal Trujillo, Tumbes or Piura and travel very little to the mountains). However I have no idea why because the pictures of the place, filled with waterfalls and natural hot springs just look amazing to me.

Lunahuana or Cañete is another option, South of Lima. Caniete is a coastal city home to Cerro Azul (the beach on the beach boys song). You can get there by car or bus in about two hours and be sure to check out "El piloto" restaurant on your way. Lunahuana is towards the andes and has good alfajores and tejas (local sweets). The weather is better this time of year than in Caniete. Remember August is winter in Peru but it gets warmer as you get away from the ocean which is always cold. If you head further south you have Ica which is a smallish desert city with a lot of services and things to do that still manages to keep it's smalltown flavor. Check out the oasis Huacachina and head to Paracas which is near the ocean, to see the sea lions. Ica makes wine and is home to the Pisco valley where the Pisco for Piscosour comes from, there are vineyard yours with free wine tasting. The place is still recovering from a devastating earthquake in 09. Anywhere south, you might go over the 100$ budget but it is easy to stay within the 200$ if you manage to stay away from activities too focused on international tourists (also stay away from hats and other "tourist gear" such as vests with pockets because some local people charge more).

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

Oh and keep weather in mind! there are no snow storms (under 4000 m above sea level) or anything like that but August is a mild winter here in Lima with over 95% humidity all day and almost no sunshine. Since it is so close to the equator many people come expecting some type of tropical paradise with crazy heatwaves and forget to bring a jacket or even sweaters but it's about 12C with 99% humidity right now which feels much colder and there is no heating anywhere in the country because it is just not culturally ingrained... even if it gets bitter cold below freezing in the middle of a mountain range.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
134 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

Thanks sugar_128. You have provided some valuable information. We have about decided on Lunahuana. I am now trying to make hotel reservations. I am also trying to find out how much private transport or taxi will cost from Lima to Lunahuana.

Lima
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

If you are still open to suggestions I would mention CANTA and AZPITIA; they are not far away from Lima (less tan 4 hours I am sure), have lodging facilities, have nice landscape and good food and are ideal to rest and relax.

9. Re: Town near Lima for 4 day visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lima Region