We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

Which Ronda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

Renfe has introduced a new daily service between Malaga and Ronda, taking in several stations on the way including El Chorro. It is now possible to spend a reasonable amount of time at either location and get back the same day.

The train departs Málaga MZ station at 10.05 and arrives at El Chorro at 10.43 and Ronda at 11.52.

The return train leaves Ronda at 16.55, leaves El Chorro at 18.02 arriving in Álora at 18.15 and Málaga MZ at 18.47.

Posted in Ronda and Malaga forums.

148 replies to this topic
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

Yes, thank you Wombatt - timely information as we were planning to take the bus to Ronda next week but now wondering which would be better as there seems to be little difference in journey times and we are planning an overnight stay. Will the bus journey be more interesting for the views? Any idea of the cost of rail ticket? If anyone knows, please help us decide...thank you!

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

The train fare is slightly more expensive: €13.35 vs €9.82 - a difference of €3.53.

In spite of that, the train would still be my first choice. Views + comfort.

As you can see from my profile, I live near Ronda and would use the new train service when I go to Málaga for the day. However, the train times are not suitable for that. On the other hand, the train timings are perfect for someone wanting to visit Ronda from Málaga.

Thanks, WomBatt.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

Thank you Tony. Train there and possibly the bus back to Malaga!

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

@hermitsview. Thanks for the thanks.

"Train there and possibly the bus back to Malaga"

Unless you are planning to take the last bus from Ronda to Málaga (dep. 19:45), and unless money is very tight, or unless the 16:55 train is too late for you, I would still recommend the train.

By the way, in Ronda there are plenty of really good and economical tapas bars so it would make sense to me to take the train at 16:55.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

Hi Tony, we're staying overnight and will definitely use the train for the return journey. Just thinking 'bus' because we might feel ready to leave before the train service. But you are right, a good tapas bar could dictate matters! Appreciate your advice.

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

Good thinking!

I always recommend the Bodega San Francisco in the Barrio San Francisco for either tapas or for something more substantial. http://www.bodegasanfrancisco.com/ You may be the only non-Spanish customer there. I usually am anyway. Excellent value for money, scrupulously honest, menu in (sort of) English.

Tapas in the bar, or on the terrace or square: meals upstairs in the dining room overlooking the square.

Yarm
Level Contributor
645 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

We also had some of the best tapas of our recent visit in the bar before Bodega San Fransisco - can't remember it's name ( Nueva Maria???) We had just finished one of the 3 walks we did in that area taken from Tony's book and that was the first bar we came to. The bar Tony mentions was absolutely packed ( this was a Saturday afternoon ) right next door to this one also situated in the square. As Tony says - all Spanish - lovely atmosphere and free tapas with every drink . We ordered more tapas and still got free tapas when we had another drink - unfortunately it was our last day but we will be going back. Ronda is fantastic and so are the people.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

This is great, its alwas nice to have a choice. Thank you so much WomBatt, l had not seen that imformation yet. Hubie

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

'Bacon Sky' for pudding at the San Francisco? Intriguing...many thanks all, we're on our way!

Yarm
Level Contributor
645 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda

Ha - " Heaven's little pig" - a bit like the usual custard caramel. No bacon involved.

Anyway - thanks for the info Wombat - I couldn't do that trip down to the coast again on the bus - it's a long time since I've had travel sickness but that journey set it off within half an hour.

Reply to: New Train Service Malaga to Ronda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted