We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving or Train

Which Ronda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving or Train

Hi,

Need help in deciding if I should travel by train or use a rental car between Malaga, Ronda, and Granada. We are planning to stay two nights in Malaga, one night in Ronda, and two nights in Granada in mid September, I will be heading to Seville from there. Originally, I wanted to rent a car for my entire trip but changed my mind after I read about the parking problem in Granada and Seville. I have the option of renting a car in Malaga and return in Granada as soon as I get there, it seems like parking for one night in Ronda is not that bad. I also know that there are direct trains between Malaga/Ronda, and Ronda/Granada.

My questions are:

1- how are the roads between these cities and how long will it take to drive?

2- will I be missing much, in terms of scenery and villages in between, if I take the train?

3- I think there is only one train from Malaga to Ronda in the morning. What about the bus schedules, do the busses run more frequently? Any ides where I can get the schedules?

Thanks in advance for the help.

David from San Jose

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving or Train

Davis

The bus route is good and the service great provided by Los Amarillos bus company.You can look up times on

www.samar.es/empresa/samar/losamarillos

or look at Ronda Turismo web page of times (pdf file)

turismoderonda.es/informacion/pdf/horarioaut…

And you save money too !

Ronda is a compact town and the train and bus stations are fairly close together.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving or Train

Thanks for your help.

It seems like the bus company lists more frequent trips than what is listed on the Ronda Turismo web page.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving or Train

Dav00d

How do you make that out ?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,088 posts
3,466 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving or Train

David:

The roads are quite good and a car would be convenient.

I lived in San Jose, CA ,for most of my life!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving or Train

It seems the PDF file lists only busses at 10:00, 12:30, and 20:30 from Malaga to Ronda, while the bus company has buses every couple of hours.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving or Train

OK you are looking at the PORTILLO bus times and that route takes much longer and is not the best.

If you look under LOS AMARILLOS on the PDF you should see same times as the Los Amarillos web site I gave before.

The LOS AMARILLOS bus goes up the Guadalhorce valley inland from Malaga and turns heading to Ronda near Ardales. You can see the route on the map shown by clicking Itinerary. Good luck.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving or Train

Thanks, good to know. I am debating the parking problem against the convenience of having a car. Do you know how long it takes to drive from Ronda to Granada and are there places worth stopping on the way? Do you live in Spain now?

London, England
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving or Train

Re your Q " ... Do you know how long it takes to drive from Ronda to Granada and are there places worth stopping on the way?" Look at the excellent European route planner viamichelin.com. Routes and drive-times, although you should add 20% to their estimates which assume fast, through drives- I'd say add at least 30 mins to their 2hr45min estimate for that route. We love driving in that region on holiday, but when we used local trains and buses a few years ago I also loved it as I could look at the scenery- particularly the bus to Ronda from Seville (which we used as a hub, as most routes seemed to radiate out from it as the capital of andalucia). But either way, you'll have a great time.

I don't know about places en-route, but if you're interested in the period of Arab occupation of Spain (which gave us the Alhambra), you might find it romantic to divert a few miles south of Granada, on the road towards Motril, to the point on the crest of 'the Moor's last sigh' (El ultimo suspiro del Moro).

Named for the last Moorish sultan of Granada, who, after being booted out of Granada by the Catholic kings in 1492, is saidto have loudly sighed while looking back and longing for his Granada palaces; an act which caused his mother to taunt him with the famous line "Now you weep like a woman over what you could not defend as a man." Google it.

Or maybe not- I just looked on Streetview and it seemed to be marked mot with a memorial, but a car scrapyard!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving or Train

Thanks for very interesting and useful information.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving or Train

You will save money using the bus, but have to do everything to there time. In a car you can come and go as you please, but remember, parking can be a pain. In the big cities a car can really be a PAIN.

80 % of the time we alwas have a car, but at times when money is tight, its the train or bus.

Going through the white towns and Ronda, a car will be fine.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie