We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

Which Ronda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elkridge, MD
Level Contributor
109 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

We would like to take an unhurried, same day, indirect route from our hotel in Ronda to our resort stay near La Cala de Mijas. Using the mapping route from ViaMichelin it's about 81 miles and should take about 2 1/2 hours.

Will most of the roads we travel on this route be 2 lanes wide, in particular A-369 and A-377? There seems to be several villages to see along this route but to get to most of them would we be driving on roads only one lane wide?

If you have traveled in this part of Andalucia do you consider this route more scenic than taking A-369? Thank you for any comments, Deborah

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

On the outskirts of Ronda there has been roadworks for a few years, this is on the road that leads to the A-397. However although there are speed restrictions within the roadworks area there were no temporary traffic lights of other lane closures when I covered the road in either October 2012, July 2013 or October 2013.. The road is perfectly passable on two lanes going in either direction.

Although steep and with deep bends, the A-397 between Ronda and San Pedro de Alcántara is a good wide road with a full lane in each direction. It is also well surfaced and a public service bus route. There are some tight curves which require attention and observation of the speed limits but nothing too worrysome. The toll prices showing on a viamichelin map printed today is the out of season prices, the prices are a little higher during the summer months. However, you can come on and off the AP-7 making use of the A-7 if you so wish. This will add a little time to your journey, although dual carriageway there are numerous roundabouts on the alternative route.

Saludos. Lindsay

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

Oh goodness, wanted to read what I had already written and ran out of time to add the next bit.

The A-377 is the more difficult of the two routes to the AP-7. That said it is a good road with a wide lane in each direction. The A-377 is more bendy and quite steep but the reward is absolutely fantastic scenery. There are a number of miradors (viewpoints) where you can pull off the road, park up and see the surrounding area. The road is well sign posted and the villages of Algatocín and Gaucín are both worth stopping in.

The first time I covered this road was on a visit to a friend in La Duquesa which is near Manilva. It had been raining heavily and the clouds were literally touching the bonnet (hood) of the car and much of the scenery was hidden. The next time, a bright sunny cloud free day, I was astounded by the amazing sights. So long as due care and attention is taken the road is perfectly good and safe, there is a little stretch near the bottom, perhaps a mile or so, which is a little bumpy. I think the road surface has contorted in the heat and is in need of a repair, that said a slight reduction in speed is all that is required.

Lindsay

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,734 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

The main roads are generally fine - these are the roads used for heavy traffic and buses. So A-369 is good just drive careful. The town / village roads are usually narrow as the properties were built before Henry Ford (preHF) so usually better to park on the periphery of a village rather than sit in the car and not get out if you wish to sight see. At Gaucin you have some lovely views over towards Gibraltar and the Mediterranean especially on the west side of the town. Heading down towards the coast you see the very imposing limestone hills of Sierra Bermeja behind Casares which if time permits is a fascinating village to visit. A well known figure of Andalucian history Blas Infante Pérez de Vargas came from this village.

Elkridge, MD
Level Contributor
109 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

Thank you very much for your detailed answers and adding personal comments. It does sound like we would have no problems on this route even if we were to encounter trucks or buses. I wanted to reassure my husband I wasn't suggesting a "white knuckle" drive!! Thank you again, Deborah

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

You are most welcome.

Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,318 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

Deborah:

Just be patient if you are behind a bus or truck. Do not try to overtake unless it is safe to do so.

Elkridge, MD
Level Contributor
109 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

Benny, thank you for the reminder---safety first. Just because we are on vacation our common sense should not be!! Deborah

8. Re: Are A-369 & A-377 two car lanes wide from Ronda to the A-7?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:19